One Immortal Leap...

Still playing?

I played this out to a domination win from your last save. 1590ad. Continents really slow me down. Will save back details till you have finished. :)

Tried to shoehorn a HA rush in there, didn't go well :lol:
You can cram a bunch of cities in there, problem is if Churchill DoW... Maybe elepult ?
Boy I suck at this game :lol:

Last edited:
Gave the map a try, pretty much the same scenario than the other Imm/Alex map :lol:
Diplomatic victory... Also managed to start some intra-continental war on the other continent just so the other leaders don't get bored too much and actually try to win the game :lol:

How I settled my cities at the beginning:
Spoiler :

I used the stone to build 99% of the Hanging Gardens, the money helped me tech alphabet (for tech peace deal) and currency. However maybe I should have rushed the mids instead, considering I had stone and plenty to chop...
This time I managed not to completely ruined my economy, instead I took 4 cities from Churchill then beelined cuirassier to conquer the continent. Aztecs were a pain in the ass at the end because they eventually got cuirassier too and had a lot of crap cities I needed to take for future dipl victory.

The one question I have is... What to do with astronomy? In this game I thought I'd beeline it, but in fact I got CoL, so my bulbs were all messed up :lol: By the time I was going to get Astronomy some other guy from the other continent met me. So is it really worth teching astronomy? Or is it better to conquer your continent? For sure with astronomy you get better trade routes and tech deals, but if you get your continent you get mad beakers anyway...

PS: again, I finished the map already

Last edited:
Why are you building an aqueduct? You really need to master your own continent before astronomy? Unless you plan to vassel and take out world quickly. In which case why build military early on. Hold on......You were teching HBR and construction but hadn't gone to war?? Very confused.

I can't see what other techs you may of had. Not even sure what year you are up to. I thought you avoided civil service for astronomy bulbs? You are using great scientists right? I think the key is optics to explore map?

As I said I finished this map already. What I am wondering now is what are the advantages of teching astronomy over just taking your own continent and wait for someone of the other continent to meet you.

I think taking over your own continent (if it's not too difficult) almost always beats going for Astro first.
Huge land advantage, with a PHI leader it's possible to task 1 (or 2 if it's not slowing war down too much) cities with GS generation thou while doing that, so you can catch up with bulbs later.

I think taking over your own continent (if it's not too difficult) almost always beats going for Astro first.
I'd say it depends on the tech pace. If you're on the teching continent then it's fine to take over your continent pre-Astro because you'll stay in the tech game during war with trades for the most part. If you're on an awful continent with say Toku, SB and Stalin as only neighbours I'm pretty sure it's better to go for Astro first in most cases, because you will still be able to roll over your continent with Renaissance units.

The problem I see is that in order to bulb Astro you need to put aside CoL (therefore CS)... So after a rush it would be difficult for me to recover my economy while teching astro. Furthermore is it even possible to rush Atro when going for an elepult rush? I don't have the tech tree here but you already use 1 GS for math, then tech construction + HBR, then you probably need currency to recover (in my case Alpha+Cur because of a technologically challenged continent)... And finally you can start working on Astro.

Also what would be the plan to beeline astro? I suppose get at least Alphabet or Cur to be able to build research, then tech/bulb to astro?

Ok so I gave it a try with Pyramids... Which got completed 3 turns before me on turn 77 :lol: So I opened the WB and gave me the mids... Then I teched writing and worked a GP and got a a GE :cry: so I gave myself a GS instead... Eventually got Construction on turn 94 (475BC or so) and on turn 100(375BC) had 8 elephants, 5 catapults and 2 phalanxes available (but not positioned), with easily more available via whipping.
In comparison in my non-pyramid game I had 8/8/3 ready to attack 3 different cities at turn 103.

So yeah Pyramids were still worth building, considering that the techs are needed anyway and failgold would have helped anyway... And if you get it your cities grow more and you can whip more units... The problem maybe is the GE, which can delay your rush, but you can save it for later.

In all fairness I managed a rush with the UU from the last save provided. Your obsessing on using phants and pults.

What are y'all talking about Construction, Phalanxes and stuff? You have horses in capital's third ring, are PHI and have tons of forests. Churchill's nearby cities are on flatland. Everything screams for an HA rush.. Plus you have awesome land, so recovery should be very easy.
(On deity I wouldn't even rush here if I can secure Sparta and Corinth spots, would just build Mids and Cuir the hell out of this map)

If I had started the game from scratch then I would agree. I tried the phalanxes to make a point it was possible.

The other thing to do would be to Lib Astro. It's a relatively expensive tech, so generally worth it on watery maps unless you're in a position to delay Lib to get something like Military Tradition for "free." Then you can tech CoL and CS and not worry about not being able to bulb Astro directly.

The other thing to do would be to Lib Astro. It's a relatively expensive tech, so generally worth it on watery maps unless you're in a position to delay Lib to get something like Military Tradition for "free." Then you can tech CoL and CS and not worry about not being able to bulb Astro directly.
The thing is: being first to lib while clearing the prereqs for Astro isn't easy on most maps. Especially when you have to rush early and recover, bulbing Astro is much more straightforward (and quicker). And on your way to lib there's several techs that you "have" to bulb in order to get it in a reasonable timeline, so lib'ing Astro doesn't solve the GP problems.

Top Bottom