PiC: The Pediaicons Checker

Um... maybe. I wrote it with an effort to incorporate .bic files, but I frankly had none that contained anything but a map, so the little testing I did was probably useless. More recently, I have come on some that would be useful for testing, but the program does not work for those yet because they are compressed (it handles compressed files, but the .bics I had seen before were not compressed, so I didn't uncompress .bics in the code). I have a new version that I was planning to release in a couple of weeks. I'll try to make sure that it handles the more general case. Any hints you can give beforehand will help. Thanks!

Well, it doesn't seem to work with my regular modified civ3mod.bic... it doesn't display anything, but there are missing entries (I can't get into my game lol).

It's been too long since I've played and modded I don't even know where to start... I've added the leaderhead and race entries, and I just remembered this morning, that I need to add wonder splashes... are building icons required? I remember way back in the day, I know unit icons aren't needed, but are building icons?

Thanks for the help, and this nifty editor (I assume it works well for people not with vanilla civ3 :lol: )

I'll make sure that it uncompresses .bic files in the next version.

It's actually not an editor. There are other editors out there, but for my taste the editors that come with PTW and Conquests seem adequate. All this does is check the files that result to be sure that there are no game-crashing typographical errors, or missing files. For example, I installed a unit last night that inexplicably referred in its .ini file to a sound file that did not exist. I had to fix the .ini myself, but the bottom line was that my game didn't crash.

I think we'll call the next version 1.0, since I have no further changes (other than bug fixes) planned. It should be out in the next couple of weeks.

Well, I have something that seems to work for me... I hadn't used the vanilla editor before, and it seems to handle units differently from the way the PTW and Conquests editors do, so I lack confidence that this will work for you. Here is a pre-release version for you to try out, if you would be willing. Just unzip it and put the binary in \program files\Pic where the old one was. With your experience, I trust that you'll quickly be able to alert me to any problems. Thanks!

Attachments

• pic.zip
    21.7 KB · Views: 126
Top Bottom