Picture to Map conversion tool

ZooMan2

Warlord
Concept: tool to convert map picture (jpeg or other picture format) into Civ4 map file (text file meeting Civ4 map rules).

Does anyone know if something like this already exists? :confused:

If so, please provide a link or guidance on where to find it.

If not, anyone interested in starting a project to create it?

Thanks in advance - I've looked but the only thing I've found is a BMP converter and I don't see how that will do the trick.:sad:

a) wrong forum, questions belong to the main forum.
b) There's a sticky on top of this subforum "BMP to WBS converter".
BMP = bitmap = picture file.
WBS = worldbuilder.

hmmm that's funny, I thought this was a forum on utilities :rolleyes: - I'm looking for one that doesn't appear to exist and this is the most likely place to find out if it does or not - I don't know if you were trying to be a jerk :( but it sure came off that way - I've been monitoring these forums longer than you've been a member and as far as I can tell questions are always appropriate if they are on subject - which this one was - so lighten up!;)

re (b) I mentioned in the original post that I had found the BMP converter and that it would not do the trick ... but to be fair I didn't say why. So let me explain - I'm looking for an automated tool that will allow you to import any picture file (*.bmp, *.jpg, *.tif, etc.) and create a WBS file ... and the key is automated. I don't know if you have used the BMP to WBS converter or not but it requires taking a picture and manually changing it using specific color patterns and a graphics editor to create 5 separate versions of the file (Height, Terrain, Features, River and Bonus) which the converter uses to build the WBS - cool but a pretty crude and time consuming process with a lot of manual work ... although probably not as much as trying to build it through the Worldbuilder. I'm looking for something that will take an atlas picture and create a map with the only parameters being how big the map should be. Pic2map in MapView v2.0 works with jpg files but always creates 128 width which means it won't work for the large global files I'm trying to create ... and the code is apparently buried in the exe file so I can't change that.

So my question remains - are there any other map utilities that create WBS files directly from picture files? My guess is the answer is no ... but it would be nice to confirm before I go looking for another solution.

Thanks.

Funny, I was just looking for the same thing. Try Mapview 2.0. It does a great job but I keep getting a crash in Civ4BTS when trying to use the WorldBuilder save that it creates (in BTS format).

Thanks - good suggestion but Pic2Map (the converter in MapView 2.0) is limited to 128 width (hard coded apparently) which is too small for the maps I'm trying to convert.

I'm still looking but I'm not real hopeful at this point.

Thanks - good suggestion but Pic2Map (the converter in MapView 2.0) is limited to 128 width (hard coded apparently) which is too small for the maps I'm trying to convert.

I'm still looking but I'm not real hopeful at this point.

I make giant maps all the time with Pic2Map. :) I know you said you wanted an automated process, but I think MapView is the closest you're gonna get.

Anyway, if you want bigger maps, try cutting the image into halves and then do a Pic2Map conversion on each. Then you can copy/paste the results into a single, huge map. If that's *too* big, or you want a small map to begin with, then up the size of the image's canvas (NOT the image itself) and do a cut out of the Pic2Map result. Have I said Pic2Map enough times in this post? :lol:

It does take a little patience, but I"ve been able to create maps of almost any size this way.

I make giant maps all the time with Pic2Map. :) I know you said you wanted an automated process, but I think MapView is the closest you're gonna get.

Anyway, if you want bigger maps, try cutting the image into halves and then do a Pic2Map conversion on each. Then you can copy/paste the results into a single, huge map. If that's *too* big, or you want a small map to begin with, then up the size of the image's canvas (NOT the image itself) and do a cut out of the Pic2Map result. Have I said Pic2Map enough times in this post? :lol:

It does take a little patience, but I"ve been able to create maps of almost any size this way.

Great idea:goodjob: - I hadn't thought of that. I'll give it a try and see how it goes but it sure sounds like it will work without a problem.

Thanks!:D

hmmm that's funny, I thought this was a forum on utilities :rolleyes: -

That's right ;).
It's for finished utilities, not for questions for utilities.
It's easier to find one, if the forum is not mixed up with questions.
Once i've seen a thread, and thought "wow, that would be useful", but when i looked at it, it was just a question for something like that :(.

I don't know if you were trying to be a jerk :(

Sorry, i didn't intend to be rude .

re (b) I mentioned in the original post that I had found the BMP converter and that it would not do the trick ... but to be fair I didn't say why. So let me explain - I'm looking for an automated tool that will allow you to import any picture file (*.bmp, *.jpg, *.tif, etc.) and create a WBS file ... and the key is automated.

That would be cool, but i guess, it does not exist.
Because, imagine, you fill that tool with a picture of your dog...what will happen?

i imagine that it'd be a giant map of a desert

Top Bottom