Planetfall keeps crashing the game

CedricTheAwesom

Chieftain
I've only downloaded two mods ever (one for Civ3 and one for Civ4) and both of them have resulted in the game crashing. The only mods I can get to work are the ones that come pre-installed, and they often crash trying to play a wonder movie. Is it too much to ask that creators check to make sure their mods work before releasing them?
I downloaded planetfall, put the .exe onto a flash drive, transferred it to another computer, and tried to run the mod. It crashed the game. Downloaded the patch mentioned in the original download post. Still crashed the game. What am I supposed to do?
I have Civ4 Complete Edition by the way.

oh wait nvm turns out that even though I have complete edition I don't have version 3.19
Haven't actually started a game yet but I was able to get to the mod menu

I have Complete edition, too. It did not come with the BTS version at 3.19. I upgraded it immediately to 3.19. That was several years ago. Planetfall and many other mods have always run fine for me. I hope that your upgrade to BTS 3.19 solves your problem. If your games crash trying to run a wonder movie, it may well be that you don't have enough memory. CIV has trouble with memory allocation, which leads to Memory Allocation Failure (MAF). If memory is less than 4 GB, this will crash your game. Even with 4 GB, in late games with lots of AIs on huge maps, you may get a MAF crash. The fix for that is to save and restart now and then, which cleans out the MAFs that have accumulated. I have always set the Autosave to save on every turn, so if I do get a crash, I can restart with minimal loss of my game from the last Autosave. Since I have upgraded memory to over 4 GB and to a 64 bit OS, I have rarely had a crash even near the end of huge map marathon games with lots of AIs.

Top Bottom