Polynesia scenario: Heads Up achievement

Morningcalm

Keeper of Records
After winning one game, I chose to keep playing to get the achievements discovering all the places of interest in the South Pacific map. I found Easter Island (assuming that's the island with 2 marble near the edge of the right side of the map), yet got no Heads Up achievement. Upon future tries, discovering Easter Island before winning the game, I still didn't get the achievement. Did finding it after victory bug it out? How do I fix this?

After winning one game, I chose to keep playing to get the achievements discovering all the places of interest in the South Pacific map. I found Easter Island (assuming that's the island with 2 marble near the edge of the right side of the map), yet got no Heads Up achievement. Upon future tries, discovering Easter Island before winning the game, I still didn't get the achievement. Did finding it after victory bug it out? How do I fix this?

Some of the achievements are for "Random Maps" while some are for the "South Pacific" map or whatever it's called. That's probably why. Check that.

Checked, all the other achievements were gained in the South Pacific map, despite the text of the achievements saying "Random map". You can't find a New Zealand-ish landmass in a random archipelago map. :|

Checked, all the other achievements were gained in the South Pacific map, despite the text of the achievements saying "Random map". You can't find a New Zealand-ish landmass in a random archipelago map. :|

I've had the same exact problem myself, without any solution put forward by any that have solved it..

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=417096

Seemingly they work for someone, but not for others, even with pop-ups activated and so on. Annoyingly..

I got Hawaii and it was in the center of the map. My guess is there is only one of the three each time. You must disembark on it to get the ach.... By the way, 3 pomare and 3 Atoehu... is a diplomatic nightmare to figure which is the target of the leader you're talking with in standard map with standard settings.

I did disembark onto Easter Island. But it still didn't work. I think the bug occurred because I played after I had won the scenario. Sighhhh. Firaxis, please fix this minor (but annoying) problem! :(

I looked up a map of Easter Island on Google. The shape fits. Also, it's in the location (approximately) that it would be in real life, if we're taking the South Pacific map to be vaguely realistic. It had 2 marble and a banana on it. Having explored the rest of the entire map with caravels, I think I would know.

No offense, but how does that impact Easter Island? On the South Pacific map, Easter Island and New Zealand always spawn in the same place and have the same shape and size (and resources too, I might add).

They are not. Want proof? I've never, repeat, NEVER, played a random archipelago game, I got all my Paradise Found scenario achievements on the South Pacific map.

MorningCalm: The achievement descriptions state that Australia should be found on the South Pacific map, but that NZ, Hawaii, and Easter Island should be found in a random map game. The lua code which triggers them is setup that way as well:
Code:
	-- Various achievements and popups only occur on random or fixed map.  Mark off the ones that can't occur
	local isWBMap = IsWBMap(PreGame.GetMapScript());
	if (isWBMap) then
		savedData.SetValue("FoundHawaii", 1);
		savedData.SetValue("FoundEasterIsland", 1);
		savedData.SetValue("FoundNewZealand", 1);
	else
		savedData.SetValue("FoundAustralia", 1);
	end

Just like Ravellion, my achievements followed those guidelines, and all counted fine. Since you are having trouble getting the Easter Island achievement, it makes sense to try and do it on a random map game since that's how it is supposed to be done. Just because you may have triggered some one or two of them differently, you shouldn't rely on that for Easter Island.

I see the code, but it's strange, as I did get all the achievements on the South Pacific map. I'm sure all of you know where New Zealand is on that map. O_o

This is rather confusing. Why didn't Firaxis just state in the achievement descriptions that NZ, Hawaii and Easter Island can be found on either random maps or the South Pacific map?

In any case, this gives me new hope that I can get the achievement after all. I'll let you know if I get it in a random map (and if I don't, my complaint about it being bugged will probably still stand since I seem to have permanently borked it by playing past the end of the game).

Hi Guys,

I realise this is a VERY old thread, but I've been working on Civ 5 achievements and had a very hard time with this one in particular, so I wanted to leave my two cents:

For me the achievements triggered in the Random Map in the Polynesia Scenario and it took me quite a while, since not all islands appear to spawn on every map generated.

I finally played as Togo on Prince difficulty and below are some images of a map that did spawn all three and it will give you an idea of the relative location and shape of these islands. Just look at the minimap for the relative position.

Spawn Point for Togo

Easter Island (Far Southeast)

Hawaii (North middle of the map)

New Zealand (South - directly SE of spawn)

Hope this helps!

Top Bottom