Possible Government Type

derekroth

Warlord
I always play on huge maps, end up with huge empires, and eventualy switch to communism just because I hate seeing so many of my far flung cities with only one shield of production due to corruption.

On the otherhand, I hate haveing to whip improvements. This is the thing I hate about communism and is the reason why I will probably never use facism (why use it if you have a large empire).

Anyway, what are your thoughts on a republic/democracy type government that has communal corruption. I was thinking it could be called Confederacy and also suffer from high WW. And unlike Democracy, worker rates would remane at 100%. Even with this, I suspect it would be too powerful. I don't know how else to limit it.

Any thoughts?

I'm not certain it's that realistic -- the more freedom you give areas, the more likely that corruption will increase away from the central government. Your suggestion would be pretty powerful -- possibly unbalancing.

You could fiddle with the rate cap. (The maximum % civs can invest in science) I use it to balance my "city states" goverment, which represents the early Greek and Sumerian goverments. I figured a nation composed of competing city states wouldn't be able to fully use its potential- therefore the cap.

You could go the DyP route and introduce improvements that lower corruption. I wouldn't do too many, and I wouldn't make them that cheap, either.

Originally posted by derekroth
I always play on huge maps, end up with huge empires, and eventualy switch to communism just because I hate seeing so many of my far flung cities with only one shield of production due to corruption.

Corruption is really no big deal!;) If you have alot of cities producing only one shield, just convert most citizens in those cities into tax collectors then get the money to buy improvement, unit, or spend it any way you wish.

Although corruption helps create the "backwater" feel for your far flung cities, I find it infuriating how much corruption there is. Trade corruption isn't so bad but shield production is paralyzing :cry:
Really, things like marketplaces and temples shouldn't suffer from corruption much either, I mean why would a city's populace be corrupt instead of building something which benefits only them?

I think there are already many goverments as there is.
I liked better the way from Alpha Centauri, where you could customize it from several settings (but this would be a bit wrong for the civ standards)
I do like forced labour. You dont need money, and with granaries/the pyramids/agriculture you can very cheaply get things done even in your most corrupted zones (just wait till you pass 50% of the shields needed and only 1 citizen must be sacrificed). Instead of building an aqueduct in corrupted places, you can just produce military units with FL.

Corruption is real. I almost used the term corruption today to describe our remote warehouses -- without almost constant supervision from our corporate headquarters, they tend to go off and do their own thing, and by the time we find out it ends up being a big project to change their mutated processes back to productive ones.

Thankfully, I realized that probably wasn't quite appropriate to say at work -- corruption may have been taken differently.

Top Bottom