Pre-Order (Macintosh and Linux versions)

kipwheeler

Warlord
Hi folks:

Most of the Firaxis information simply states that the game will be available on October 24th, and it seems they definitely plan on releasing the game in PC, Macintosh, and Linux versions "in the Fall of 2014."

However, when I look at pre-order options, all I see is the PC download--not the Mac or Linux options. It occurred to me that I might be misinterpreting the news releases by mistakenly assuming that all three versions would be released on the same day--there might actually be a delay in the port to Macintosh and Linux so those versions might not actually come out on the 24th, perhaps, but merely later "in the Fall of 2014"?

So, my questions to those of you with experience with these sorts of pre-orders: (1) Can anyone confirm if the plan is to release all three versions on the 24th, or just the PC version initially on that day and the others later in fall 2014? What are people's experiences with this sort of thing in the past?

(2) For those Mac or Linux users out there, if you have done pre-orders in the past, did you simply pre-order the "PC" version and that gave you access to a Mac/Linux version download or did you have to wait specifically for a "Mac Linux version" option to be added to the pre-order options?

CivBE is currently not listed as a Steamplay title:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/65980

This means, that the PC version will come first. As soon as Steam will also offer a Mac and/or Linux version later, it should become a Steamplay title, so that you can download all available versions once you have the title in your download library:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9439-QHKN-1308

So, and please correct me if I'm wrong, pre-ordering now on steam with cause it to be added to my steam account on October 24th and available for play on PC, and then whenever it becomes available for Mac I will be able to play it on a Mac without any kind of additional purchase, right?

So, and please correct me if I'm wrong, pre-ordering now on steam with cause it to be added to my steam account on October 24th and available for play on PC, and then whenever it becomes available for Mac I will be able to play it on a Mac without any kind of additional purchase, right?
This is the way it was with Civ5, and it shouldn't be any different with CivBE - AS LONG as it will be released on Steam (of course, I cannot promise that).

It has been made clear that Civilization: Beyond Earth will be released on Steam for PC/Mac/Linux. Though the PC release has been verified in date (October 24th, 2014), the Mac and Linux releases will be slightly delayed as Firaxis/2K work with another publisher: Aspyr. They have not announced anything in relation to a date, though it is being worked on. The Civilization twitter and Facebook pages have promised to provide a release date for Mac/Linux users as soon as it is available.

Ah.... Okay. I guess I will need a little bit of extra patience then, to wait for Aspyr. Perhaps it will be ready by Christmas, one hopes.

Thank you all for your responses.

I may be wrong (do not remember now) but I thought the last instalments of Civ 5 (CiV: BNW, for example) had a simultaneous Windows and Mac OS release - so lack of clarity from Firaxis on this is quite confusing. To be honest, when I first heard they are releasing the game both for Windows and Mac OS, I assumed a simultaneous release (this is the way most games that are released for Mac - such as games by Maxis, Blizzard and Paradox are also released).

I may be wrong (do not remember now) but I thought the last instalments of Civ 5 (CiV: BNW, for example) had a simultaneous Windows and Mac OS release - so lack of clarity from Firaxis on this is quite confusing.
The Mac and Linux developers certainly are already working on CivBE. However, releasing just an addon like BNW or an entirely new title like CivBE makes a huge difference. Each new title means many new mechanisms, and even though Firaxis and 2K do a lot of QA testing, as soon as ten thousands of people get their hand on it on release, there probably will be some problems. Therefore, on a new title it is smart to fix all such initial issues that may come up on release on one platform first. The hardened Windows version then can be finished a bit later on Mac and Linux to release without problems. I am sure that you will be able to play CivBE on Mac and Linux before Christmas.

This is the answer I got today from Aspyr:

Lucy Fernandez, Aug 25 11:24 AM:

We're always working on new titles for the STEAMOS! Unfortunately, unless we've officially announced anything, there's not much more we can say. I think we may have an announcement coming up in the next month or so, but I'm a little hazy on the timeline at the moment. One way to keep up is to subscribe to our newsletter (there's a sign-up link on the front page of GameAgent.com).

You can also follow us on Twitter (@gameagentstore) and on Facebook
(www.facebook.com/gameagent <http://www.facebook.com/gameagent> ).

Thank you.
Aspyr Support

Top Bottom