Problem with multiple Forbidden Palaces

Maleficence

Chieftain
Okay, so I got tired REAL QUICK of the corruption problem. 70% corruption, 80% corruption is okay. But everything but one shield and one trade gone to waste was a bit too much for me to stomach.

Editing the Optimun Number of Cities was really lame as you never got the chance to build the Forbidden Palace, and I wanted to leave that as last recourse.

So I added 12 different small wonders, each of which is a forbidden palace (One for each of the signs of the zodiac, and I added a tech advance to allow their construction.

Since the signs of the zodiac supposedly go in a certain order, I named each additional FP after each sign, starting with Aries and ending with Pisces. Aries is the cheapest one to build and pisces is the most expensive as they progressively increase in cost to build. Each time increasing cost by about 100, making it increasingly hard to build the next one ;p

I also made it so you have to build the House of Aries, in order to get the House of Taurus, by making the House of Aries a pre-req for the House of Taurus, and so forth, so you basically have to build them in a fixed order.

My problem is quite simple. They never appear as choices for production! =( It's not due to my number of cities. I made 37 cities in a trial run, which is over the ONoC in a Huge Map. I even built the Forbidden Palace to see if that would trigger the appearance of these other Forbidden Palaces, but nothing! =/

If I unclick the "reduces corruption" flag I can build the House of Aries (which has no pre-reqs). But the moment I click "reduces corruption" it's like the thing disappears!

Anyone else had similar problems with adding multiple forbidden palaces? =/

You know, it's really starting to annoy me how Firaxis hard coded so much stuff into the game if they ever planned on people to be able to mod the game, as it currently stands, you're mostly limited to doing the same wonders, small wonders and improvements but with different names and different combinations of effects.

Like you can't build multiple pentagon type small wonders as the game doesn't take these bonuses as cumulative ones. Rather annoying I must add! What if you wanted to make the size of armies increase with the ages! Anyways, I'm ceasing my rant... hehe Any help ont he Forbidden Palace thing, though? =/

If you mean the "reduces corruption" in the small wonder section - it won't be building, like your FP, until you have half the optimum number of cities. If it is the standard building section the I'm not sure. What other options do you use for the building? Are the regular building, small, or great wonders?

Maleficence: The corruption you're talking about - where everything is eaten up except for one commerce and one shield - has nothing to do with normal corruption. It's because you have too many cities. Change the optimal number of cities in the Editor, World sizes tab, to like 128. You can do this with a game in progress. See the difference in your game?

Actually, Mizaq nailed it on the head.

Since I had The Oracle as a prerequisite for the first House, then I had to build that House wherever I had built The Oracle, which in the particular game I was playing was in my capital, which had a palace, which means you can't build a forbidden palace type structure there.

SOooo, obviously I was never getting the option to build the thing.

I'm assuming the same will probably hold true for small wonders. If you set a small wonder to be a pre-req for something else you'll have to build that small wonder in that city as well, like Mizaq stated, and that's exactly like I had it set up, so I guess I'll just have to make all 13 FP's available at once. Oh vell...

And as far as the type of corruption I was seeing, it really had little to do with the number of cities. Adding additional cities wasn't hurting the corruption, it was just the distance they had from the palace was too great. (I was starting to colonize bits of central america! )

Thanks for your replies.

Now that I can build the silly things, I seem to be crashing due to the splash screen or something :confused: Oh vell, I'll just use the forbidden city pcx instead of my own one :p

Yay! I got them all to work, and with the new splash screen too!

It seems the error was due to having added some units with a saved game editor (to speed up getting to the optimum number of cities, so I could test quicker) Turns out that was causing a stack overflow error. But anyways, it's all good now.

I suppose the next best thing I can do is set each new FP to have a requisite of different buildings, with the number set around 1/4 of the optimun number of cities. So something like 10 barracks for the Aries, then 10 courthouses for Libra, or something like that =)

Thanks again for your help :)

Oh, I'm attaching the lil splash screen I'm using, I think it looks quite neat, especially with the fade in effect the splash screen uses in the game.

Damn, well Razorwing answered one question I had. What is the default optimal # of cities, depending on map size, anyhow.

Jeez, this'll help a ton. Thanks everyone.

Top Bottom