Proper Game Speed Question

DeckerdJames

Warlord
If the end game takes too many turns and most everyone agrees, what would happen if all civilizations got a bonus to all yields that started ~around the medieval era, something like 25%, and then each era after that the bonus was increased by something like 25%. Would that be too quick?

Doesn't have to be based on era, I guess, but could be based on advancement another way. Basing it on era might be more fair since it happens for everyone at the same time.

Not just yields, but maybe everything. Tourism, loyalty pressure, diplomatic favor, envoys, etc. and numerical quantities like diplomatic point rewards could be scaled. If diplomatic points for the victory condition are not scaled then the diplomatic win becomes harder because you have to get it faster. (Correct me if I am wrong about that) Basically just speed everything up. Not sure about movement though.

Anyway, people say it feels like a marathon game at the end so maybe scaling up a bonus would help with that if it doesn't mess up the unit game. They will probably start to feel very slow maybe.

Scale up the speed of how fast a governor can be reassigned too.

edit: Could try scaling up the power of a unit's attack and strength of a unit's defense number, but leaving move speed unchanged. Hopefully to reduce the number of turns to resolve a war.

edit: Maybe combat between units of same strength should be resolved in 1 or 2 turns. If it is 1 turn, then the attacker can decide if it can one shot something but defenders have to watch out for one shot kills. If it is 2 turns, then the defender of same strength can live to do, at least, one more thing.

edit: it could also be tried more nuanced. (Infantry vs infantry) of equal strength might take 3 turns, but (best tank vs anything equal or less) is over in 1 turn, etc.

edit: if it is just a general boost to combat resolution speed that is the desirable thing, It might just be easier to scale down the HP pool of units rather than scale the attack and defense numbers.

Last edited:
If the end game takes too many turns and most everyone agrees, what would happen if all civilizations got a bonus to all yields that started ~around the medieval era, something like 25%, and then each era after that the bonus was increased by something like 25%. Would that be too quick?
On a 500 turn game most are finished before turn 300 and many before 200, this would just make the situation worse surely?

On a 500 turn game most are finished before turn 300 and many before 200, this would just make the situation worse surely?
I don’t know. You would have more gold to spend each turn and wait fewer turns to produce things. Most people say they get tired of clicking the turn button in the end game. They sound like they feel it takes too long for things to happen.

They sound like they feel it takes too long for things to happen.
No, the problem is that the game goes on longer than it needs to. The late game is dull because there isn't a lot to do aside from waiting for your victory condition to kick in, hence the complaint about waiting for things to happen. Being able to get units and buildings faster isn't going to solve that problem because I already have my campuses fully built up but it still takes two or three turns to unlock each future era tech so I can unlock the final space race projects and then it still takes a decent number of turns for even my most productive cities to finish the projects. That's the issue. Quite frankly, the game just needs to end 50 or so turns earlier before its worn out its welcome.

Top Bottom