(2-VT) Tweak to city state "Acquire this city" quest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Billy

Chieftain
Problem: From what I understand, this quest chooses the "most capturable non capitol, non friendly city". When the quest first appears it defaults to the first visible non capitol city on the map. Often this city is on the other side of the other civ's capitol, meaning that you have to go through most of their empire to get at the one city you actually wanted. Later on this is not an issue, because it usually picks one that directly borders you and is a one step capture. I have two possible solutions:

1: The quest doesn't appear until turn 100 or later. Gives enough time for there to be border conflicts, but obviously if you want to capture stuff early, this gives you less potential rewards for doing so.

2: The chosen city must be within 10 tiles of one of your cities. I suspect this is actually already a thing because I wont see the quest pop up if I'm friends with all my neighbors, but I think the radius is just a lot bigger, around 20-25. Solves the problem in the first solution, but at the expense of possibly not allowing the quest for a city across a small ocean.

Technically, you can reduce your influence on the city-state to a negative level and the quest will be canceled. Declare war on a city-state or its ally. After some time, another city-state will give a quest to capture the city and the goal may be different.

But it seems like a better option would be to add an option to 'reset current quests' in the diplomacy window of each city-state once every 40 turns. This will allow you to get rid of too long waiting quests that you have neither a special opportunity nor a desire to complete.

For example:

1) The city-state wants our religion to become dominant and offers a reward of 150 faith. And its population is 15 people - this requires 2-3 missionaries (at best) or 1 charge of the Great Prophet and the city-state itself is located on another mainland 30-40 cells from us - why would I send missionaries there ..

2) Or some other quest (I don’t remember) with a reward of 150-200 science, when you already get 600-800 per turn.

3) Or they want us to send a trade unit and promise +70 influence and 50 food. And his ally already has 250 influence and diplomatic units arrive regularly. What's the point in sending a caravan for 9 Gold/Turn ? It will be more efficient to put this caravan on the internal route with the delivery of food-hammers or send it to another empire for +20 Gold / Turn, and send a spy to the city-state and arrange a coup.

2: The chosen city must be within 10 tiles of one of your cities. I suspect this is actually already a thing because I wont see the quest pop up if I'm friends with all my neighbors, but I think the radius is just a lot bigger, around 20-25. Solves the problem in the first solution, but at the expense of possibly not allowing the quest for a city across a small ocean.

Why not just make it the closest city to any of your cities.

That's what it does right now, more or less. I have no issues with how it decides which city to pick when given multiple viable options. But "closest city to any of your cities" means something very different when theres only one city to pick from.

It can still be on the other side of the world if all your neighbours are your allies. There needs to be an upper cap of distance so CS doesn't offer this quest if above the cap.

Proposal vetoed.

Reason:
Only one proposal may be made per thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom