Proposal - Senators-at-Large

Octavian X

is not a pipe.
In the new game, it may be a little while before we have more than one province. This would give total control of the Senate to a single person. As such, I would like to propose positions for extra senators that do not control a province.

My thought is that with the first governor, we would have 2 senators-at-large. When a second province comes along, the senior senator would become governor, making the senate consist of two governors, and one senator-at-large. Once a third province comes into existence, The last senator-at large would become governor, and the at-large positions would not exist at all.

The advantages of this proposal are numerous. First of all, we can keep our provinces a size of around ten cities. Second, the Senate will never be controlled by a single person.

Thoughts?

no way. the rules are there. we should comply (we even close active informational poll out of nowhere because of those rules ;-)

the only solution i see is the proposal for a different handling of provinces also discussed here, with 1 city provinces at the beginning, which will be redesigned to have about 10 governors all thru the game.

Well, the Senate didn't come until the discovery of the Republic. A despotism or a monarchy has no need for one, by the time we discover the republic there is bound to be a province or two al ready in place.

Just my 2 gp

Ehecatl Atzin

We dont implement in game governments in the demogame. go to the despotic game of civ3 for that one ;-P

It is in the rules, and so it will be played like that!

What are you talking about? We already have a senate! It consists of the provincial governors. They vote on constitutional amendments. A 2/3 majority senatorial vote is needed to pass any amendment to the constitution.

I am going to do something radical and both understand AND directly respond to the proposal that this thread concerns.

I think the senators a large idea is a very good one. We will most likely not have any constitutional changes, but if we do, we need a senate.
However, I think that the SaL should be 'affirmed' by a citizen poll before moving into the new governorship.

I think another way to combat the problem would be to have a 1 month morotorium on big C changes.

Or the proposal for having smaller provinces at the beginning (which is polled at at the moment i think).

With this, we will rather quick get about 10 senators. No need for rulechanges!

Top Bottom