[QUESTION] Limits of Python/XML regarding my ideas

salaminizer

Colorado Internacional
Hi, sorry if this is another "limits of Python/XML regarding my ideas" thread, but I think it's wise to ask before trying and 1. checking it's impossible 2. think it's impossible because I am unable to do it.

Question #1: I want to get the AI to move some caravans (new unit) around between cities. Each time the caravan reaches a city, it generates some gold. then it stays around for some turns when it goes back or to another city. Python is enough for it? (order goto city M, wait X turns, order goto city N, wait X turns, repeat)
Variation #1: The caravan can be "captured" and generate gold to the capturer.
Variation #2: a fixed map makes it easier or the general case will help me out in the future? (expanding it, for example)
Observation #1: I've seen the Pirates! scenario, but I haven't checked it yet (and right now I can't). It seems to me that the Treasure ships thing is something like my caravan, am I right?

Question #2: Can I allow unit upgrades in a city without allowing the player to build the unit? If I can, it must be done using Python or XML is enough?

Question #3: Can a "Heal" action be done with Python? I plan to have a "Healer" who can (obviously) heal another unit(s) in the same tile once a turn.

Question #4 (kinda stupid I guess, but I need to have it confirmed before messing with the XMLs): is it enough to give a -1 cost tech as starting tech to have it impossible of being researched? Or even better, is there any way of making a tech civilization-unique through XML?

Question #5: can I take civics down to 1 or 2 per group of civics? I ask the same for religions, can I have just 1 or 2 religions?

Question #6: is there a minimum and maximum number of techs needed for a game? (maximum in the meaning of the end of a tech tree)

Again, sorry if I'm the 133145th person asking the 6 questions above, but I have some ideas and the mod centers around this ideas, so if I have to use the SDK since the beginning I won't even start the mod. I know C++, Python, etc, but I want the mod to be done bottom-up, not going straight to the "core". :p

And I just wanna know if all this is possible just with Python and XML, I'm not asking HOW to do it :p I'll eventually ask it, but for now, I just wanna know if its possible - if you know any mod which already implements it, I welcome any support!!

thank you. :)

Question #1: I want to get the AI to move some caravans (new unit) around between cities. Each time the caravan reaches a city, it generates some gold. then it stays around for some turns when it goes back or to another city. Python is enough for it? (order goto city M, wait X turns, order goto city N, wait X turns, repeat)
Possible but could be your worst head ache yet.
Question #2: Can I allow unit upgrades in a city without allowing the player to build the unit? If I can, it must be done using Python or XML is enough?
Not sure what you mean. :confused:
Question #3: Can a "Heal" action be done with Python? I plan to have a "Healer" who can (obviously) heal another unit(s) in the same tile once a turn.
Possible, but again the AI could be a head ache.
Question #4 (kinda stupid I guess, but I need to have it confirmed before messing with the XMLs): is it enough to give a -1 cost tech as starting tech to have it impossible of being researched? Or even better, is there any way of making a tech civilization-unique through XML?
You could do using a -1 cost or by making a tech civ specific in the CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml file.
Question #5: can I take civics down to 1 or 2 per group of civics? I ask the same for religions, can I have just 1 or 2 religions?
You sure can.
Question #6: is there a minimum and maximum number of techs needed for a game? (maximum in the meaning of the end of a tech tree)
I don't believe so.

Possible but could be your worst head ache yet.
Not sure what you mean. :confused:
Possible, but again the AI could be a head ache.
You could do using a -1 cost or by making a tech civ specific in the CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml file.
You sure can.
I don't believe so.

about #2, I want to have an Archery Range that lets the player upgrade their Archers to Crossbow but doesn't allow the player to build the Crossbowmen.

about #3, I don't plan giving it to the AI :lol:

thanks a LOT for the other answers :)

#4, just use the bDisable tag in the xml file. It shows red in the tree, and can't be researched. You have to give it to the civ via python.

Top Bottom