Civ 6 raen´s New Diplomatic Policies

Civ 6 raen´s New Diplomatic Policies v5.0

raen

Coat of Arms
Very good ideas, thanks for the mod, they add nice variety to early and mid game diplo choices!

Quick question though, how is the production bonus from Mare nostrum distributed? If you get a gold bonus from a policy, it’s added to your gold funds, but isn’t production always given to a specific city (as in trade routes) or capital (1st tier city state bonuses)?

Also the 30% bonus per suz for Spices trade sounds quite much if it is applied to all of your cities. If you are suz of 3 CS’s, would all you cities get nearly double (90% more) food and gold?

And a suggestion if you’re creating more of these: as a non-power player, i’d like to have a diplomatic tool I could use to help AI civs that have fallen behind in tech/civ. For example if i’ve declared friendship with the neighbour of my enemy and then wanted to boost their development to help them being more of a threat. Policy would grant some science and/or culture to all your friends. It could be a fixed amount, or a % of your overall science output or say 50% of your campus building yields.

Many Thanks! My thoughts exactly, diplo choices missing in early and mid game.

I have to check mare nostrum behavior more in detail, then I reply here.

Has for spices trade yes probably too much, I will change to 10%.

Has for your suggestion seems possible to do (have to check the friendship tough, because in game diplo is used a lot with allies) , in which civic would you suggest to fit it in?

Thanks!

Last edited:
If you want to make tech giving policy useful also for more competitive players, it perhaps should have some gain for yourself also. The obvious gain is of course gold, in which case it would be Technology Trade or something similar. But it would make it Economical policy rather than diplomatic. It could give the bonus of Rationalism policy (100% science from campus buildings) to your Declared friend and give you an equal amount of gold in return? As Rationalism is unlocked in Enlightenment, this should propably come later at early industrial era.

If you want it to be Diplomacy policy, you should gain ’influence’ which is hard to model as it doesn’t exist in CIV6. Closest to influence are envoy points, but how many should you get? 2 per declared friends you are giving science to? This could give you many envoy points if you declare several friendships, but you get them knowing you boost tech of your possible future enemies. Problem with that solution is it doesn’t scale, you get the same envoy points if you boost with 2 science or 100...

@Jifanodd

Mare Nostrum now will have 2 influence points, I ditched the production part.

About your idea, I took the main ideas and I have decided to use it as diplomacy again because its an ally thing and it is still missing more diplo, will post update soon :)

The 11 Diplos Detail:

Connective Justice - Unlocked at Code Of Laws, Obsolete at Heavens Mission
=> +50% Faith points per Shrine and Temple

Fair Trade - Unlocked at Foreign Trade, Obsolete at Spices Trade
=> Your Trade routes with another cities provide +2 food for you and +1 production for both parties.

(NEW) Political Naturalism - Unlocks at Political Philosophy, obsolete at Machiavellianism
=> Your delegations improve diplomatic relationships by 10 points instead of 3. While at peace, diplomatic relationships improve an additional 1 point per turn for a maximum of 25 points within 75 turns.

Silent War - Unlocked at Defensive Tactics, Obsolete at Cryptography
=> Your Spy level is increased by 1 for offensive operations

Mare Nostrum - Unlocked at Naval Tradition, Obsolete at Gunboat Diplomacy
=> + 2 influence points per turn towards earning Envoys, and one temporary additional Trade Route for each major civ (ever) met on a new continent, limited to 10.

Spices Trade - Unlocked at Exploration, Obsolete at Raj
=> +10% Food and 4% Gold per City-State you are the Suzerain of with medium influence

(NEW) Heavens Mission - Unlocked at Divine Right. Obsolete at Containment
=> Automatically converts to the Religion you founded in a city-state you are the Suzerain with medium influence

Trade Monopoly - Unlocked at Mercantilism, Obsolete at Gunboat Diplomacy
=> Open Borders with all City-States.

(NEW) Neutral Country - Unlocked at Nationalism, Obsolete at Police State
=> Enemy Spy level reduced by 1 in your lands.

Postcolonial Community - Unlocked at Conservation, no Obsolete
=> Your Trade routes to an ally's city provide +4 Science for them and +4 Gold to you. Both parties gain +1 Culture with the trade.

(NEW) Military Intelligence - Unlocks at Globalization, no Obsolete
Your Spy level is increased by 2 for offensive operations. Enemy Spy level reduced by 1 in your lands. But +5% of War Weariness.

(NEW) Additionally, at Globalization I added a new available SPY.

Last edited:
All in detail:

Spoiler :

// Ancient Era-->3

|Connective Justice|Unlocks at Code of Laws|Obsolete at Heavens Mission!
|+50% Faith points per Shrine and Temple\

|Fair Trade|Unlocks at Foreign Trade|Obsolete at Spices Trade!
|Your Trade routes to another player's cities provide +2 food and +1 production for both parties\

(NEW!)|Bureau of the Barbarians|Unlocks at Early Empire|Obsolete at Raj!
|+1 Gold from all city-states you're Suzerain\

// Classical Era-->3

|Silent War|Unlocks at Defensive Tactics|Obsolete at Cryptography!
|Your Spy level is increased by 1 for offensive operations\

|Political Naturalism|Unlocks at Political Philosophy|Obsolete at Machiavellianism!
|Your delegations improve diplomatic relationships by 10 points instead of 3. While at peace, diplomatic relationships improve an additional 1 point per turn for a maximum of 25 points within 75 turns\

(NEW!)|Gladiatorial games|Unlocks at Games and Recreation|Obsolete at Priesthood Lords!
|+ 1 Amenity from Arenas\

// Medieval Era-->3

|Mare Nostrum|Unlocks at Naval Tradition|Obsolete at Gunboat Diplomacy!
|+2 influence points per turn towards earning Envoys and one temporary additional Trade Route for each major civ (ever) met on a new continent, limited to 10\

|Heavens Mission|Unlocks at Divine Right|Obsolete at Containment!
|Automatically converts to the Religion you founded in a city-state you are the Suzerain with medium influence\

(NEW!)|Priesthood Lords|Unlocks at Feudalism|Obsolete at Gunboat Diplomacy!
|+2 gold per Holy Site\

// Renaissance Era-->3

|Spices Trade|Unlocks at Exploration|Obsolete at Raj!
|+10% Food and +4% Gold per City-State you are the Suzerain of with medium influence\

|Trade Monopoly|Unlocks at Mercantilism|Obsolete at Gunboat Diplomacy!
|Open Borders with all City-States\

(NEW!)|Protestant Reformation|Unlocks at Humanism|Obsolete at Collective Activism!
|+2 faith from temples\

// Industrial Era-->2

|Neutral Country|Unlocks at Nationalism|Obsolete at Cryptography!
|Enemy Spy level reduced by 1 in your lands\

(NEW!)|Exotic Animals|Unlocks at Natural History|Obsolete at Postcolonial Community!
|+ 1 Amenity from Zoos\

// Modern Era-->2

|Postcolonial Community|Unlocks at Conservation|No Obsolete!
|Your Trade routes to an ally's city provide +4 Science for them and +4 Gold to you. Both parties gain +1 Culture with the trade\

(NEW!)|Work Force|Unlocks at Mobilization|Obsolete at Collective Activism!
|+ 2 production from industrial zones\

// Atomic Era-->1

(NEW!)|Resort Town|Unlocks at Professional Sports|No Obsolete!
|+4 from Entertainment complex. +2 Amenities but -1 Housing if a city has Entertainment complex and Theater Square\

// Information Era-->1

|MilitaryIntelligence|Unlocks at Globalization|No Obsolete!
|Your Spy level is increased by 2 for offensive operations. Enemy Spy level reduced by 1 in your lands. But +5% of War Weariness\

Additionally, at Globalization, I added a new available SPY.

(NEW!)|Bureau of the Barbarians|Unlocks at Early Empire|Obsolete at Raj!
|+1 Gold from all city-states you're Suzerain\
- I do not think a player has too many suzerian cities at ancient era, so a bit larger bonus wouldnt hurt. + 2 or +3 even.

// Classical Era-->3

|Silent War|Unlocks at Defensive Tactics|Obsolete at Cryptography!
|Your Spy level is increased by 1 for offensive operations\
- Espionage becomes possible only at Renaissance era, so what good this policy does?

I do not mean to criticize and perhaps it is common knowledge that choices of policy cards could be richer. But does the policies have been tested and proved to be useful/reasonable choice in some circumstances?

Thanks on the tips. Good questions.

The standard game lacks diplos, does not mean firaxis is totally wrong, I believe there were few or not too representative, so Im trying to add them to the game.

In another way, I research and apply, not a hardcore tester, but I think a lot about it tough.

I will add 2 gold for Bureau, makes more sense as you say.

As for Silent War, I think Catherine of medici has it earlier and also my Mod´s Joao I.

Nevertheless, you can discover it earlier and use it later. Happens with many policies, for example, when you don't want to have walls you don't use walls policies, or maybe you don't have the tech to build walls after all.

All list, not in particular order :

Connective Justice
Fair Trade
Silent War
Mare Nostrum
Spices Trade
Trade Monopoly

Political Naturalism
Heavens Mission
Neutral Country
Military Intelligence

Bureau of the Barbarians