Random CTD's

Murderologist

Warlord
So around turn 55-60 most games going in to renascence era I get random CTD's every 5-10 turns. As long as I save the game before it CTDs I can load up the game and continue playing no problem until about 5-10 turns later when it repeats its self. My laptop I purchased last week and is years beyond the system requirements of this game but Im not ruling out some kind of memory issue? Is there a way i can check a log file or troubleshoot this without just guessing what it might be? Thank you.

It does sound like a memory issue.
As I understand it, Civ V can only use so much memory, regardless of your computer's specs.
Are you running very many mods other than the base VP?

Delete your cache folder in Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5
Maybe it will help.

I am using other mods yes. But they don't give me issues for the most part and if they do I have logging enabled but I cant make sense of it. I know in game everything works and is flowing until those crashes occur. At which point I just have to reload the game and keep going. I have deleted the cache, moduserdata and it might have helped a little but the crashes still occur from time to time.

I also got a CTD shortly after entering the renaissance. My gal started a new game so the logs are overwritten, but if the issue happens again, I'll take a deep dive into the logs and have autosave on for every turn.

So I made it to turn 132 and I’ve had 3 CTDs one upon entering the renaissance ere around turn 50-55 then 2 more one around the end of industrial and then in atomic. I’m thinking they are related to memory and or graphics but again this gaming laptop is beyond the spec of this game. Is there anything else I could do to alleviate these issues if they are indeed memory or graphics related?

hmm CTDs that frequently and that early? Could also be related to something the AI does, maybe some specific combat situation...

What map size do you play on? Do you use EUI? Do you use any other mods? One thing that can help to prevent memory-related issues is turning off the tile yields.

Last edited:
Do you still have a save from renaissance when you got the CTDs so frequently? You can upload it on github (preferably together with your zipped MODS-folder) and we will check. If it happens every 5-10 turns then maybe it can be reproduced.

Do the CTDs happen during the AI's turn, or do they happen when you do something?

I don’t have the save. They aren’t happening as frequently as before I’m in the same game turn 160 now and I’ve CTD maybe 6-7 times? It’s completely random most times it’s between processing turns but it’s don’t it just scrolling the map. One time it happened when I changed the music with the music changer mod which I’ve used for years. It never corrupts the save file and I can also advance the game when I get back in. Making me believe it’s related to graphics and memory. I did turn of tile yields, icons etc

When i have purchased a new laptop, one thing i forgot to do initally, was to change settings settings to launch on dedicated GPU instead of integrated one, maybe double check if your game does not launch on integrated GPU?

Hmm good call. Just have to figure that out now. Ty
When i have purchased a new laptop, one thing i forgot to do initally, was to change settings settings to launch on dedicated GPU instead of integrated one, maybe double check if your game does not launch on integrated GPU?
I was gonna mention this as well. There is even a thing with some laptops whereby dedicated GPU gets automatically disabled when the power cable is not plugged in so thats another one to watch for. I once came across a laptop that didn't disable it automatically and whenever the owner removed the cable it caused major issues, ultimately blowing a fuse on the motherboard so do your research before tinkering with this setting!

Is anyone using Dolen2's ethnic diversity pack by any chance? I don't know why but turning it off when I was using community patch (no VP) fixed an otherwise unavoidable CTD.

Top Bottom