range 1 ranged-attack units.

teks

Prince
I was spilling text all over the horsemen overpowered thread, and thought of a cool idea that could help horsemen, riflemen, and musketmen.

Why can't these units have the option of using a range 1 ranged-attack?

The idea sprouted from the fact that most horsemen used javelins, sadly If we let horsemen throw javelins and run away they would only be more overpowered.

But what about riflemen, and musketmen??
People often complain about how they are melee units no different then a swordsman. Shouldn't those armed with rifles be able to simply fire a volley at the enemy rather then fully engage them?
I feel that this would improve the civil-war era combat as units aren't jumping nimbly bimbily from one hex to the next as they kill each other. Instead they would form a battle formation, and hold their lines as the riflemen exchange volleys at each other, and cannons pound them from afar. Longswordmen...are screwed :lol:
These units would need a separate attack strength for melee, and ranged combat of course, and they must have the ability to do both (bayonet charge!!!). It would also give the two cavalry units of the era a noticeable difference in roles.
Lancers are the flankers, and the anti cavalry unit, while cavalry are skirmishers. able to jump in a critical spot, and fire a volley to support the infantry, then retreat behind the lines once more. (they have 3 movement, so its not overpowered IMO)

later on infantry do not melee at all, and battles would have a more WW1 trench feel to it. As both sides 'dig in' to favorable terrain, and the plains become 'no mans land'. IT would should make steamrolling harder later on, which is an improvement in my mind.
please tell me what you think.

+1

the question of course becomes does artillery get a 6-square range?

do tanks get a 4-square range

are gunships melee-only, certainly hellfires can travel farther than musket rounds...

basically, I like the concept, but it sure is a can of worms...at some point it becomes a question of mechanics vs realism methinks

I think the biggest problem is attacking cities. Cities would need to be able to treat these new ranged attacks as a melee attack.

I never got to playing with tanks, or gunships yet. I'm not sure about tanks, but shouldn't gunships be limited to a ranged attack anyway?

I think the biggest problem is attacking cities. Cities would need to be able to treat these new ranged attacks as a melee attack.

I never got to playing with tanks, or gunships yet. I'm not sure about tanks, but shouldn't gunships be limited to a ranged attack anyway?

I think the idea has potential. Actually I tried something similar some time ago after using some of the range combat mods out there. I tried giving guns range, and even gave a warrior range for tests.

The problem as you alluded to is that the AI seems to treat units with range as only ranged units (even though I left the default unit_attack/melee AI, as in the warriors), and so the AI ended up with having dozens of ranged-Warrior units surround a city with 1 hp, but never actually capturing the city, just endlessly bombarding it. As soon as they sent a spearman up, the spearman captured it.

I could do it kinda/sometimes with siege units moving into a city for capture instead of firing on it (usually accidentally), but the AI doesn't seem to know to do it at all with ranged units.

If someone out there knows how to get the AI to properly capture cities with ranged units, please share!

Top Bottom