Remove time limit

Infernax

Chieftain
Hello,

I have a question for the game Civ 1 / Civnet & Civilization call to power : is it possible to remove the time limit ? The game is automatically stopped in 2100, and we have no possibilities to continue (contrary to Civilization II for example).

So is there a mod to remove the time limit ?

Thank you

Hello, I think it's not possible in the first civilization (I don't see any options like this)

In original DOS Civ and Civ for Windows, you can carry on after 'retirement'. I believe in CivNet it's impossible, it's one of the reasons why that version isn't very popular!

EDIT - not to mention that using the JCivEd editor with the original DOS version, you can enable the CIV1_PLAY_FOREVER EXE patch to switch off retirement completely. Be warned though that as it's a hack, there may be unintentional side effects to doing this!

Last edited:
You might also want to consider using the patch for the infamous pollution bug as well. Not included with JCivEd by default, but if you drop the xml into the Patches folder, it works. Again, a hack that isn't particularly well tested but appears to do the job! You can find it here.

You might also want to consider using the patch for the infamous pollution bug as well. Not included with JCivEd by default, but if you drop the xml into the Patches folder, it works. Again, a hack that isn't particularly well tested but appears to do the job! You can find it here.

Mmmh, how could I leave this one out...

Yup this is exactly why I've never been a fan of CivNet. They forced retirement with no option to continue the game which was completely unacceptable to me back when it came out. I played one game, it happened to me and I went "to hell with this" and never touched CivNet again lol. There was no option to disable it and as far as I know no fan ever hacked it either as most people just stuck with other versions of Civ1 instead.

So if you don't want to play the DOS version then I recommend Civilization for Windows (CivWin). CivNet was built from CivWin, so CivWin pretty much looks and feels the same as what you're used to in CivNet but CivWin does not have multiplayer or the forced end game and so you can continue playing after retirement. I think the hacks that remove retirement entirely that the guys are talking about above are only for the DOS version though.

Don't forget about CIVED. You can manually edit the year to avoid the 2100 issue.

Don't forget about CIVED. You can manually edit the year to avoid the 2100 issue.

@darkpanda 's CivED does this for CivDOS, and recently added support for CivWin, but I don't believe it supports CivNet (the multiplayer version of CivWin). So far as I know there's still no way around the time limit in CivNet unfortunately, although a savegame hex edit might possibly do it, however I'm not aware of a CivNet save file hex editing guide so who knows where the turn values are.

Top Bottom