Rep question

thetrooper

Misanthrope
You know the situation, at the beginning of a turn (before you can move any units, change build orders etc) an AI leaderhead pops up asking for tribute (gold, techs, luxuries, you name it). Let's say that he/she asks for a luxury and that I can't afford a war right now. Let's also assume that I have two of said luxury resource - one of them now under 'trade' to the demanding AI.

I decide to pillage both tiles. The 'deal' is thereby cancelled.

Do I get a rep hit from that? I think so - although it is unfair.

If not, is it an exploit?

Discuss...

:)

I recall this was brought up a while back. I believe the consensus was it was a rep hit. After all, you're the one who cut the roads.

Think of it as having a deal with Civ B. Civ C comes along and demands tribute. You decline. They declare. You were using their trade network to get to Civ B. You get the rep hit for breaking a deal with Civ B.

Hmm... you're right.

The rep system in C3 needs a facelift (or a boobjob if you prefer that). I can't see it coming though.

I'm satisfied with almost every aspect of C3 except for it's apperent Achilles' heel; the rep system.

:(

I'm quite frankly disgusted at the AI trading system. I'm tired of always getting insane tributes being demanded of me and getting declared on if I don't while other Civs just laugh at me if I ask for a 1 gold tribute. But the thing that bugs me the most is how you try to trade for a tech or something from a Civ, and you can offer EVERYTHING you have, including a bunch of your cities to the AI and you're advisor still says something like "They would NEVER accept a deal like this!" All the while if you offer just one thing the advisor says something that indicates you may have a chance at the deal if you offered more by saying, "I doubt they would go for this".

What is that all about?!

Does rep have anything to do with this kind of garbage?

No, rep does not. But if you don't want them demanding tribute, build more military.

Oh yes, rep does have to do with that. Check my post in your other thread. If the advisor says "They will never accept this deal", it means you put something that they won't trade because of something else than sheer value of your offer. Examples: if you trade cities outside a peace deal, they will "never" accept that. Also, if your rep is broken, they will "never" accept GPT or RoP or MA deals. :) So a bad rep does indeed make that message appear more often.

...Though I've found that if you do have enough to offer, like thousands of gold and hundreds of gpt plus lots of techs and all, you CAN usually get past their defenses and get a deal. An exception is if city trading is into the picture. They will NEVER sell cities for anything else than peace treaties, or vice versa.

Top Bottom