Requesting a volunteer for unique 3D mesh/texture work (Natural Wonder)

Kim Dong Un

The One & Unly
Supporter
Hello,

I've held off on this for a while, but figured I'd gauge if there was any interest. I'm in the process of completing a custom civ, North Korea, specifically tailored for Vox Populi, and though I've received plenty of standard assistance from the VP community, I knew one of my components was always going to be a stretch; a unique Natural Wonder: Mount Paektu. The NW is intended to spawn within range of DPRK's initial Settler.

A few months ago, I followed a few guides and devoted the time into compiling the programs and tools necessary to attempt the task myself, but after several sessions, needless to say my talents weren't cut for the job... That's not to say I could never find my way one day, but this project overall has already spanned almost 2 years for me, so my inefficiencies and lack of knowledge pertaining to modding have already taken a toll -- I've learned a great deal over this time, but I'm in a bit over my head with this one. For all I know, for somebody experienced in 3d modeling/graphics it may take only a few minutes of time to achieve what I need.

I have the logistics in place to integrate the NW into the game once finished, but I'm obviously missing the 3D model itself. I managed to dig and find a few (hopefully) adequate pictures of the mountain using satellite imagery, but they may not be suitable for the application; the Supreme Leader can always find more candidates, if need be.

So, I guess that's about it. I know these parts are a bit empty these days as compared to the traffic of the past, but maybe there remains a gracious individual who can help ascend Best Korea to the top of Paektu Mountain and into the promised land!

Feel free to ask about any other details. Thank you.
Spoiler :
Paektu3d.jpg
Paektu3d2.jpg
Paektu3d3.jpg

Challenge accepted ill see what i can do.

ill experiment with a few ideas and get back to ya.

ill check out how civ made the crater looking wonders
then ill recreate it with the design you want

just one question. that is water in the center correct?
if so Would you like it to be ice or water? or should i try both?

I see some green there in the picture and snow in the other?
Would you like trees? or a green decal? both? Or a snow decal version?

I'm not saying i can do it I'm saying i can try.

worse case scenario ill have to make my own custom crater for it, not starting with civ's as a base.
i do know civs craters are just a flat triangle mesh placed over a mountain. its kind of just a mountain space minus the mountain lol

here is some of my current work I've made public, if you want to check it out. it will be the first mod I will make that I don't horde for myself.

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/making-an-apocalyptic-mod.677099/

perhaps it will give you faith i might make this wonder for you.

just one question. that is water in the center correct?
if so Would you like it to be ice or water? or should i try both?

I see some green there in the picture and snow in the other?
Would you like trees? or a green decal? both? Or a snow decal version?
Wow, I was hopeful to get any response, let alone this kind gesture in less than 24 hours! I can't thank you enough for trying to take this on, and I will be sure to credit you for your efforts even if this ultimately doesn't come to fruition. Your other work is great, and I'm sure you'll do a tremendous job. It doesn't need to be perfect, so don't worry...as long as it's not blatantly hideous. :hide:

To answer your question, yes, it is a lake: the most glorious body of water to grace this planet, a caldera known as Heaven Lake. Though covered in ice for up to 8 months of the year, I think it'd be best to display the lake as water. The mountain forms the basis for a few different prominent rivers, and contains a triumphant waterfall, so we'll start with the water theme (image #3 is probably my fav template/colors). If you find the motivation to create both an ice/snow version alongside the standard, I certainly wouldn't turn it down, and would include it as an interchangeable component of the kit. Considering the emphasis put on the Wonder, that would actually be a pretty sweet option for players.

In terms of the greenery, I trust that you can apply what's best in order to achieve a good look. If that requires trees, decal, or both, then so be it. I don't want this to be a burden, so you'll have a better idea at assessing how much work is needed to portray Paektu's beauty. Ideally though, the Wonder fits in seamlessly and appears consistent with the other base Wonders in Civ V -- not too jarring on the eyes, either.

Thank you again, and please, take your time because there's no haste. Like I mentioned, this is a process I've had to piece together over time approaching 2 years now, and this is definitely something I don't want rushed or to cause stress for the modder over their other priorities. I look forward to our future communication; feel free to ask me any other questions or concerns you have. Good Luck!

Last edited:
For those who also want it here it is.
it contains only the model and the dds files, along with the blender file.

*edit*
the model was removed.
The model was not sanctioned by the supreme leader.
and will be revised.

I will re-post a new one soon worthy of the greatness of Korea

Last edited:
Top Bottom