Retrieving host info

markieness

Chieftain
Hi,

Are there any specific ports that need opening for civ 5? I'm trying to play with some friends but we're having issues.

Player A can join player B fine, and launch.
Player C can join player B fine, and launch

if both player A & C join player B, Player A shows as ai to player C and vice versa, and so the game cant launch.

Player A cant connect to player C the game just gets stuck on the Retrieving host info.

Anyone know what the likely cause to this is?

Im guessing ports or firewalls or somthing,

We also had some weird experiences in multiplayer with this and getting everyone in the game. We found that we can get everyone in the game fine if you let all your players join the game and then put in the computers.

I'm also stuck on the "retrieving host information..." screen.

This happens on all internet games I try to join, anyone has similar problems and a fix?

A common problem I've run into (and seen others run into) is that you seem to be unable to join a game if your Steam Friends nickname is the same as their's. If you try to join a game of someone who has the same nickname is freezes up on the "retrieving host information" screen. This was happening to me all the time till I changed my nickname to be different from my friends. I would guess that this could also be responsible for your other problem of someone showing up as an AI to someone else (ie: person A and C have the same nickname, they can't join each other's games, but they can each join person B's game, but they don't see each other correctly in that game).

I managed to get into 1 internet game last day.

What I think that causes my freezes is that I tried to join a multiplayer game wich was already in progress or something.

What you could try is press ESC if it doesn't work within 10 seconds and try another game. Eventually I managed to get into 1 game and play.

A common problem I've run into (and seen others run into) is that you seem to be unable to join a game if your Steam Friends nickname is the same as their's. If you try to join a game of someone who has the same nickname is freezes up on the "retrieving host information" screen. This was happening to me all the time till I changed my nickname to be different from my friends. I would guess that this could also be responsible for your other problem of someone showing up as an AI to someone else (ie: person A and C have the same nickname, they can't join each other's games, but they can each join person B's game, but they don't see each other correctly in that game).

Thats great to know and likely why my LAN test game likely had this issue...

CS

Top Bottom