RFC BtS Atlas

I have updated the atlas to be in agreement with BTS v1.181 (see post below for attachment)

Some people may prefer to have local copies -- but whoever is hosting the online versions could also migrate to the new version. Although I retouched all the areas to (hopefully) aid in legibility, the only major changes are:

Turkish UHV updated (changed Istanbul, Black Sea, and Mesopotamia)
English UHV updated (changed Oceania which now doesn't overlap Asia)
Incan UHV updated (excludes Brazil, which looks a little funny)

There are two other minor changes. The Carthage "Normal Area" used in the Arab and Roman UHV was wrong, cutting off one tile further west than it should have. The French UHV regions now (properly) overlap in the upper great-lakes.

It is possible I introduced some mistakes of my own. I welcome feedback and corrections.

I updated my online version (@meat.arvixe.com). I encourage the others to do the same, you can never have too many mirrors.

Edit: sedna the zip you posted contained a file and a folder names _MACOSX, what is that?

Sorry, the __MACOSX files are (unsurprisingly) Mac OS X cruft files. They aren't important or useful. The wiki doesn't allow me to delete the old file and replace it with a new one, so I'll wait for other corrections before posting a new version which also won't contain this cruft.

I thought as much. Say, do you sometimes get Windows "cruft" when opening archives from machines running windows? I know that I always end up accidentally uploading Thumbs.db because it's hidden in explorer but not my FTP client.

What happened to the extended German/Russian spawn areas (so that earlier civs can't squat on them)?
Great job, sedna, the lines and text are very clear on your map (unlike the one on civfanatics). Thank you very much.

Thanks AnotherPacifist. I was trying to check the spawn areas as I went through, but I guess having the old areas in the background as I was doing it biased me, especially on the fiddly European bits. I'll update Germany/Russia and post a new version tomorrow.

Hey Senda, it looks great :D

I hate to point out flaws, and It could be just me slowly going crazy, but I think you left out Japan and Persia's spawn locations. Like, the cultural spawn area shows, but not the actual more-opaque tile where the units first show up.

Other than that, I like :)

Thanks AnotherPacifist. I was trying to check the spawn areas as I went through, but I guess having the old areas in the background as I was doing it biased me, especially on the fiddly European bits. I'll update Germany/Russia and post a new version tomorrow.

:lol: I'm rerolling a German start right now because my city flipped to Russia. Should have read the thread more carefully. :lol:
But I think sometimes there's a window after the flip turns but before the Russian settlers get there.

Thanks Al-Iskander for the help -- I forgot the Mayan spawn location as well.

Rhye, could you be more specific? I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Thanks for pointing that out, the wiki syntax doesn't seem to like those two nested apparently. I just moved them into separate lists.

Here's the updated version of the atlas, with German and Russian rise areas fixed and spawn locations included for Persia, Japan, and the Mayans. Because the wiki doesn't allow easy updating/deleting of files I'll just post it here in the forums and provide a link to here from the wiki.

In addition, the zip files contains a directory called bonus_files, which are map overlays of the civ "normal areas" which I needed to figure out for victory conditions anyway and Continents.png which is a sketch out of the continents as provided by Rhye in this thread a little back. This later was mostly for my own curiosity, as I'm playing Russia right now and was perplexed by the Europe/Asia boundary. The normal areas are used (I guess) for some stability calculations and for resurrection/rebirth of civs.

I'm not including these files in the normal interface right now, but they are there for the curious to download. You can overlay them using the "Local Files" box by specifying the full path to the file on your local machine and clicking the check box. I don't guarantee the accuracy of these bonus files, since I didn't double-check them (and look how many mistakes I made on the files I did double-check!).

Attachments

• rfc_atlas_bts1181.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 2,770
Thanks sedna, downloading now.

I think Rhye may have previously censored some of this sort of stuff? I'm going to grab the bonus files now while I can though. :)

With the American spawn, I've found that the stating units sometimes appear on the grassland tile you have highlighted but also sometimes start on the forested tile immediately south of this. Are both likely? Is the forest start an unusual result I had?

I think I had 2 starts on the forest and 4 starts on the grassland to the north out of the 6 American games I've recently played.

I certainly hope I haven't posted anything censored. Like I said, Rhye was the one who posted the continent definitions, and the normal areas... they are what they are. Pretty easy to read out of the python anyway.

As for America's starting location -- I don't actually know what determines the spawn location is the starting square is blocked. America only has one square listed for their starting location, and it's the one marked.

Cool that people are keeping it updated. Many thanks for keeping me in the 'About'.
As for what the 'Local' functionality is: it just allows you to specify overlay images from elsewhere. Probably not very useful.

Top Bottom