Rising Tide Leaders XML

Barathor

Emperor
So, I've been busy playing the game when I have free time, but I started a little bit of looking through the files. I checked out the Leaders XML because I often find errors there, lazy row-data (like all 5's, for example), or missing row data which become a default value with no uniqueness; ever since Civ 5, haha.

In the XML for the leaders, they've gotten these new columns:

RespectIncreaseModifier / RespectDecreaseModifier

For the new RT leaders, they are:

Arshia: 40 / -40

Hughes: 30 / 0

Ebner: 0 / 0

Moon: -20 / 20 (not backwards, that's how it is)

All vanilla leaders: nothing (So, they get the default values 0 / 0.)

Anybody have a good guess at what these affect? Especially, considering that Moon does the opposite of what the other leaders do (though, there isn't much to compare him to).

Also, as you can see, the existing leaders didn't get any unique values for these, they're all "Ebners" when it comes to this. I assume these were forgotten when entering the new data for them.

Depending on what these do, maybe diplomacy could be spiced up a little bit more (don't expect miracles, haha) if each leader received unique values depending on their personality -- not just all Ebner clones.

EDIT:

After thinking about a little bit, I think there probably is a standard value which is applied when respect increases or decreases (the text messages with the arrow up or down).

These values modify that standard value... so Arshia get's really happy or mad rapidly, and Moon is flavorfully more even-tempered, for example.

EDIT2:

You beat me to it, Cassadore, very good! Yeah, this must be what they represent.

I think the numbers represent how fast you can gain and lose respect from a leader.

negative modifier: slow increase/decrease
positive modifier: fast increase/decrease
default: normal rate

Which means that Moon for example is a difficult diplomatic partner while Arshia is much easier to have good relations with.

Yes, this likely is a percentage modifier applied to the base increments for respect changes. (Though it could maybe also impact how often leaders check whether you meet their trait requirements.)

So it looks like it is harder to build respect with Chungsu but easier to lose their respect, while Arshia is easier to gain respect and she will stay loyalty to you no matter how much of a jerk you are.

I'd add that there appear to be two increments for respect changes, a "slight" bump and a "large" bump. You get slight bumps for making trade agreements with people leaders like, or for doing things that appeal to them based on traits. Large changes come from declaring war, having a different/same affinity or forward settling (which now occurs right when you found an outpost, not when it turns into a city, which is a good fix.)

It's a shame they didn't set modifiers for the other leaders. That could definitely be a neat way to differentiate them.

Hmm, I was thinking of it as more of an addition/subtraction modifier, not a percent.

If all leaders are working off of a standard base modifier (I only assume, could very well be wrong), then adding/subtracting isn't much different from a percent. If each leader had their own unique base modifier value, or it changed during the game, and/or is random when creating a new game, then percentage modifiers would be needed.

But, given their format, I'm leaning towards adding/subtracting. Which would make sense if we look at the values for Moon. He's very calm and intelligent, his values would suggest he isn't quick to respect or disrespect someone, he's cautious and it takes him a lot of time. On the other hand, Arshia is a bit more unstable and can swing one way or the other rapidly. Duncan is a bro, he'll disrespect you at a normal rate but you'll gain his respect a bit easier -- he would rather guzzle down some somas with you as he tells you about his epic fishing stories and such.

EDIT:

You know, I think you're right, omni. I forgot that there's both a major and minor change in respect. So, it must be a percentage.

I'm just assuming it's percentage because "modifier" variables in the game usually are percentages, while incremental bonuses would usually use "respectChange" or similar.

What makes sense to me though is that there are set quantities for small and large respect changes, so for example when you get a message that you've received a slight respect increase your respect with that player has increased from say 4 -> 4.2 (but the display is truncated so you only see your respect change on the diplomacy screen when you hit a whole number).

Then Chungsu would get -20% to positive increases, so while the other leaders get 0.2 per bump he gets just 0.16 per bump. When he gets a slight decrease though it's larger than the other players, at 0.24.

Sorry, I jumped the gun; the existing leaders do have values for these modifiers. I just noticed them while looking through the database for something. These new entries were placed in the vanilla leader files, not in the RT additions.

So, here they are if anybody is curious.

Barre: 40 / -40

Duncan: 30 / 0

Kavitha: 0 / 0

Hutama: 0 / 0

Lena: 0 / 0

Elodie: 30 / 20

Daoming: 0 / 20

Fielding: -20 / 20

Moon: -20 / 20

Rejinaldo: -20 / 40

Kozlov: -40 / 40 (what a jerk)

Barre: 40 / -40

Duncan: 30 / 0

Kavitha: 0 / 0

Hutama: 0 / 0

Lena: 0 / 0

Elodie: 30 / 20

Daoming: 0 / 20

Fielding: -20 / 20

Moon: -20 / 20

Rejinaldo: -20 / 40

Barre is Mr. nice guy of course, what I'm a little bit surprised about is Kavitha I expected like 20/30 that way its easy to make friends but also easy to lose it very quickly. Elodie not so surprising, Fielding I thought would be more of a jerk, Daoming I assumed would be more like Kozlovs and Kozlov would be 0 / 20.
well he may hate you and be super distrustful but that's basically Russia. :mischief: :lol:

I'm surprised by Arshia. I thought she looked upon the other sponsors with disdain -- they're all soft and got to sleep away in cryo without any worries, while her people had to thrive on a ship not knowing if they'd ever make it to a planet. I thought she'd be a little more isolated.

And you would think Lena would be more easy to get along with so she can make her agreements.

I'm thinking Lena should maybe become a 40 / -40 and Arshia should maybe match Daoming at 0 / 20.

Arshia'a blog lore made her seem very untrusting, so I'd think she would stay neutral often.

Well this is actually awesome, adds some much needed personality to the leaders! I wish this sort of thing was more transparent in the game for more casual players.

Top Bottom