RoM terrain in Civ4 Bts

Swashbuckler.

Chieftain
Hi
I don't know is this is the right place to post, sorry if I made a mistake.
I would like to put terrain like in RoM and water into civ4 bts. Is this possible? If so where can I find that terrain and water?
Thanks.

I'm pretty sure the terrain textures were from Improved graphics mod but can't remember what version of that mod they were from. Or it could have been some Colonization terrain conversion to BtS - it was so long ago that I don't remember :D

You could grab the terrain textures from RoM by unpacking the fpks with pakbuild.exe.

I'm pretty sure the terrain textures were from Improved graphics mod but can't remember what version of that mod they were from. Or it could have been some Colonization terrain conversion to BtS - it was so long ago that I don't remember :D

Is there any way to play ROM *without* its custom terrain textures? I prefer the default BTS terrains (especially the water). Less realistic but easier for me to distinguish, I like the default "candyland" atmosphere.

I have been searching all over in the forums for a clue on what RoM files to modify/delete to get the default textures back, but no luck. And there is no general tutorial on texture modding in the tutorials forum. I explored the game's folder structure but I am no programmer and could not figure out what exactly would need to be deleted without screwing up something else.

Any help appreciated, I've given up on Civ V and am looking to play RoM for the next year...

Its from the Colonization textures by Johnny Smith. Used it myself in my new mod ;)

Thanks for responding, but I do not understand the significance of what you are saying. How does this information help one to use BTS's default terrain textures in RoM?

\Program Files (x86)\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Rise of Mankind\Assets\XML\Art in this Game path there are several XML files that deal with Terrain art. They most likely contain the data you are looking for. Try removing a file and see if it changes the terrain back to standard CIV BtS. The 1st one I would try is CIV4ArtDefines_Terrain. Remove it and see what happens. (Save it somewhere else so that if the game CTDs you can put it back.)

JosEPh :)

The 1st one I would try is CIV4ArtDefines_Terrain. Remove it and see what happens. (Save it somewhere else so that if the game CTDs you can put it back.)

That did cause a CTD when I tried to load a game, but thanks for the suggestion.

\Program Files (x86)\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Rise of Mankind\Assets\XML\Art in this Game path there are several XML files that deal with Terrain art. They most likely contain the data you are looking for. Try removing a file and see if it changes the terrain back to standard CIV BtS. The 1st one I would try is CIV4ArtDefines_Terrain. Remove it and see what happens. (Save it somewhere else so that if the game CTDs you can put it back.)

JosEPh :)
That did cause a CTD when I tried to load a game, but thanks for the suggestion.

The XML in \Program Files (x86)\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Rise of Mankind\Assets\XML\Art points to the location of the graphics to use. Since Zappara was good to us and compressed all the graphics into the FPK files, to reduce size and increase load/game speed, you need to do something else. The original terrain graphics are also in FPK files so you can't just copy the art folders from the original.

I don't know. It may be possible to change it by changing:-
Code:
			<Path>Art/Terrain/Textures/OceanBLEND.dds</Path>
			<Grid>Art/Terrain/Textures/OceanGrids.dds</Grid>
			<Detail>Art/Terrain/Textures/OceanDetail.dds</Detail>
to
Code:
			<Path>[B][COLOR="Red"],[/COLOR][/B]Art/Terrain/Textures/OceanBLEND.dds</Path>
			<Grid>[COLOR="Red"],[/COLOR][/B]Art/Terrain/Textures/OceanGrids.dds</Grid>
			<Detail>[COLOR="Red"],[/COLOR][/B]Art/Terrain/Textures/OceanDetail.dds</Detail>

I think the "," makes the game look at the BtS folders rather than the mod folders.

The reason deleting the file wont work is because RoM adds terrains. So only change the terrains, coast and ocean.

Thanks for responding, but I do not understand the significance of what you are saying. How does this information help one to use BTS's default terrain textures in RoM?

Sorry, forgot the quotes from Zappara. The message wasnt for you ;)

I bet it crashes coz the marsh doesnt have a artdefine anymore. Try leave the artdefines for marsh and delete the others in CIV4ArtDefines_Terrain.xml.

Hoskuld --

Nice try. Doing your suggestion did not cause a CTD. However, it caused several terrains to become solid pink!

Vincentz --

Unfortunately your suggestion caused a CTD.

Thanks very much for your suggestions. This appears way more complicated than I thought it would be. I will just continue to play with the usual RoM terrains, it's still more engaging than Civ V!

Top Bottom