rundll error -can anyone help?

I've come across a recent problem... Windows says it can't find a certain rundll file/component every time I start my computer. Just reinstalled windows (98) which didn't help, so it must come from someplace else, perhaps my ancient installation of MSworks I could suspect.

Can any of you tech guys help?

What exactly is rundll? -I've always noticed it running in the background, but have no idea what it is for. Is there someway to remove it, or reinstall it so that everything works normally?

In general, how do I check and remove unwanted programs that are launched on startup and are running in the background without my approval? Any good references?

If you get the name of the exact file it was after, and any other information such as the name of the program that couldn't find it.

Open your system.ini file with notepad, and see if there are any references to programs trying to load rundll.exe.

If there are, you should be able to delete that line without too many problems (although note where it is so you can put in back in if you have to).

Rundll.exe is not critical to executing anything in newer versions of windows. :)

to check what programmes launch at start up go to run in the start menu and type msconfig then click the start up tab there go all you programmes that execute on start up

That msconfig is really useful! I've never known about it before! Now I don't need to edit registry to take away progs from startup.

How did you know that?

Argh! I get this all the time! It doesn't seem to affect performance or anything, though.

Top Bottom