Sámi Civ

Yksnøy

Chieftain
Hi everyone! This is going to be the first mod I ever make, so while I'm gonna try and do as much of it as possible to learn how, any help offered will be very much appreciated!

I'm planning on bringing the Sámi (the indigenous people of north Scandinavia) into Civ 6 with as much detail I possibly can, I've been very interested in the culture for a while and I'd love to bring it into the game as accurately as possible. I'm only in the planning stage as of yet, but I have a few ideas planned;

Elsa Laula Rhenberg as the Sámi leader. While there aren't any documented historical Sámi leaders, Elsa Laula founded the first known Sámi Association, was one of the driving forces behind the first Sámi congress and is one of the most (if not the most) well known Sámi rights activist in all of Sápmi (the cultural region of the Sámi). Being such a key figure in unifying the Sámi and fighting for their land and rights, I think she is beyond qualified to lead her people. I haven't thought much about leader abilities, but something in regards to loyalty could work.

Adding reindeer. Reindeer herding has been of great importance to the Sámi throughout their history. In the nomadic days of the Sámi they followed the migration pattern of reindeer to sustain themselves. Because of this I'd like to add reindeers to the game and give the Sámi a food and culture boost from reindeer herding. I'd also like them to be able to build reindeer farms from start, kind of like how the Maori have boats from the get go.

I'm also thinking about introducing a unique cultural district called "Saajve-vaerieh" (Sacred Mountain), that can only be placed on mountain tiles. The "Saajve-vaerieh" held great cultural significance for the Sámi which is one reason for incorporating it, the other reason is that it's a good way to incorporate some unique buildings and sites. One addition to the district could be a sieide, generally an oddly shaped rock or rock formation believed to hold spiritual significance. In order to appease the gods, offerings were often left while passing a sieide site. Since many sieide were found or placed in the mountains, I think that'd be a good way to incorporate them. Something else to put in this district could be a dálvvesijdda. The dálvvesijdda was a "residential area" for a siida/sijdda (a group of 2-3 Sámi families) used in the winter. The sieide could boost religion and culture, and the dálvvesijdda could boost housing.

That's what I have planned for now, if you have any ideas or suggestions please let me know! And as I said earlier, any help is appreciated. Also, if there is anything factually incorrect in what I have so far, please correct me as I'm not Sámi myself and want to represent the culture as true as possible!

As I hadn't downloaded the Development Assets yet and my internet is pretty bad, I figured I might as well make use of the waiting time (and do something I'm actually decent at lol). So here's the progress I've made so far on the 3d model of Elsa Laula!

While I'm not opposed to the idea of adding a whole new map ressource inside an extra-civ mod, maybe playing along with existing tundra resources could also be an option? As in, maybe part of the ability is just "can build pastures and camps on tundra/snow without Animal Husbandry", with reindeer farms available a little later (which could be a concept based off the outback station, maybe? as in middling bonuses by themselves, but adjacency from pastures and/or camps)?

As a side note, you'll want to make sure you're compatible with the one mod that adds reindeers as a resource. (oddly enough the resourceful mods don't have reindeers)

Top Bottom