Sandbox Mode

legalizefreedom

Inefficiency Expert
I'm not sure why a civ should be compelled to drop everything and declare war on a long time ally because they built a telescope. It likely wouldn't affect them one bit since they are doing their own thing, much less enough to backstab an ally. If I'm against you invading earth, that's another matter, which ought to be left up to the player.

The idea is to have a sandbox mode where the player doesn't "lose" because another civ completed a "victory" condition so the player can better role play the game. This probably looks like a checkbox in options.

In game, the player will continue to get the same notifications that other players are making progress on their projects and respect and fear will work the same way it does now except maybe it begins to affect you more if you have competing project ideas. I don't think shared victories are necessary, but it might be explored for the event you are allied for x number of turns and are pursuing the same projects. The game would continue until the player reached a victory condition, but the world would have to live with the AI projects.

This game works very well as a sandbox, but currently I'm compelled to turn off victory conditions in order to play a game on a somewhat challenging difficulty and not have the game become a race or a puzzle.

1. You can still keep playing after you win or lose (unless you are dead)
2. You can switch off all victory conditions

So what you want is already in.

The game SHOULD have an ability for Allies to 'unify' together and work together for a joint win. (just make it cost enough so going it on your own may be more effective)

1. You can still keep playing after you win or lose (unless you are dead)
2. You can switch off all victory conditions

So what you want is already in.

Not exactly.

You can continue playing, but not with as much purpose. A large part of why this would be good is the immersion factor. Having a game over screen kinda kills your inspiration in the game, don't you think?

Switching off victory conditions is the current way to solve the issue, yes, but that removes a large amount of content and pigeon-holes you into domination, which in turn takes away strategy options and immersion.

Not exactly.

You can continue playing, but not with as much purpose. A large part of why this would be good is the immersion factor. Having a game over screen kinda kills your inspiration in the game, don't you think?

Switching off victory conditions is the current way to solve the issue, yes, but that removes a large amount of content and pigeon-holes you into domination, which in turn takes away strategy options and immersion.

I would say it adds to immersion, because you can click off domination as well and have it be 'survival' ie you win as long as you still have 1 city. (like real life, the Roman empire didn't get a You win screen, but they did get a ' you lose' one)

There do need to be more peaceful methods of interaction/controlling/hurting others. But that is important as part of the 'strategic game mode' as well.

Top Bottom