schism

slatemen

Chieftain
I am pretty new to CIV III, playing for about a month now, (whenever my wife is not around). Anyway I played Civ II a lot and I remember in one game I (the Americans) were at war with England who had a missive Empire. After hundreds of years of fighting me and two or three other civs the English Empire had been whittled down to around 9 cities.

As the world approached the industrial age (in terms of CIVII technologies) England's time on earth seemed to be coming to and end. Not wishing to completely destroy the English I ended my war with them made peace and eventually became their ally. The other CIVs kept fighting.

Here is what happened. My foreign advisor alerted me that there was some sort up uprising in England, I forget what he called it. But the nation was split in two. Have the Civ became the new nation of the French, the other half remained English. The French lived on, but the English were evenetually destroyed. It was weird. IT never happened in any other games I played .

Am I crazy? This is possible isn't it? Surly it has happened to others. Any thoughts? The real question is, can it happen in Civ III and what circumstances can bring this about?
:confused:

In the dark recesses of my memory I seem to recall a similar thing happening once in one of my Civ 1 or Civ 2 games, from what I remember it was the Americans who appeared but I don't recall from what nation they came from. Don't know if this is a feature of Civ 3 or not.

I remember what you are referring to. If I am correct, I think it is a result of the capital being taken and maybe something to do with the type of government that causes the split.

I had seen it a few times during my Civ2 playing days. And was fortunate that on one occasion I was given some of the cities. That is why I try to eliminate the opponent's captial early in any campaign.

I have yet to see it happen in Civ3.

Regards,

Gary

Originally posted by slatemen
The real question is, can it happen in Civ III and what circumstances can bring this about?
:confused:

From what I've read on this board this is not occuring in CivIII.

I don't remember about Civ1, but in 2 civil wars sometimes occured out of the blue, but most were triggered by the fall of the capital. I frequently used that tactic to divide the enemy, make peace with one side, conquer the other, rebuild and then contiunue my conquest. I don't think that happens in 3, at least not to me yet.

This was caused by taking the capital IF the capital was in civil disorder. It was in both Civ1 and Civ2... I used to enjoy causing this to happen. Use a diplomat to put the city in disorder, then take it.

I've seen no evidence of this in Civ3. It might screw with the new corruption system, who knows?

Top Bottom