Skipping mp3s!!!

cgannon64

BOB DYLAN'S ROCKIN OUT!
This is SO damn annoying. For some unknown reason a few weeks ago, all my mp3s skip when I type. If I'm typing, it will routinely skip a half-second to 2 seconds of a song. You can easily see why this is annoying. Does anyone know why this would start? And how I can stop it?

so much for cfc and kazaa simultaneously

Two things I need to know:

1. What is your CPU speed and RAM?

2. What music software do you use to play your MP3 files?

MP3 and wav files require a lot of CPU processing in order to play the files, and scrolling a webpage or typing in something can also attribute to CPU usage.

A few programs like Winamp, or WMP, have spectrum analysis or little videos and splash screens that they play, or other unecessary tidbits thrown in. These take up processing power, and can also attribute to your MP3 stuttering problem.

I've got the same problem with RealJukebox together with IE. It's just annoying, you can't surf and listen to music at the same time. :(
I've got a PII 500MHz with 64Mb memory BTW...

Have you tried playing MP3s with winamp or with another software except realjukebox?

I have PIII, 384MB RAM. This happened before we got the RAM, and I thought it would go away, but it didn't.

Just did a quick test while typing that paragraph, and playing in WinAmp is worse. It skips more and longer. Damn it! Maybe I should time my typing so its between songs..:o

damn you ram...you fix aom and not this?!??!?!

I'm making a wild suggestion here, but if you have XP (or perhaps 2000), you could try assigning more system resources to WinAmp or eq. Try it at 'above normal' or 'higher', and it might well help. I know my TV card can jerk if I'm scrolling a graphic thread in IE unless I increase its resources. Then, it works with no problem.

If you have integrated sound/graphics then the internet can eat up a lot of power and cause the songs to skip, used to happen to me but then i got Opera and winamp and it stopped :)

get foobar2000. It's the best quality media player without all the memory hogging bull**** that winamp or *gasp* realjukebox do. I think it's at foobar2000.hydrogenaudio.org.

I'm assuming you didn't encode these mp3s yourself, so might I suggest looking for mpc or flac files instead? MUCH better quality.

Top Bottom