[Civ2] SMAC Civ2 Project Files

Hey Guys,

I am gathering all of the files together to see where we stand. I am going to list what I think is finished:

Terrain1.gif
Terrain2.gif
Units.gif
Rules.txt
Title.gif

Issues to resolve:

Game.txt needs to be reworked and has "high priority"
Menu.txt needs to be reworked but has "low priority"
Events.txt needs to be rewritten
Icons.gif unfinished "insufficient graphics available at this time"
People.gif unfinished "insufficient graphics available at this time"
lables.txt needs to be reworked but has "low priority"

I will reiterate that this project is still alive. It has undergone numerous changes but will continue.

Andrew,

If you are able to send me an email this week, let's get some more things rolling. Just need to know what your schedule is...

By the way, finished writing the Master's Thesis...

Cheers,

CivPartisan

Just posting here to show my support in this project, 7 years is a long time for a project. =P

Any reason why this thread is a sticky?

1. It's just another mod, amongst many.
2. It's been dead for half a decade.
A decade later and still....nothing...
Who's the moderator around here?

Ahh man what a friggin tragedy! I literally just posted elsewhere yesterday about how I'd rescued John Mavin's Alpha C scenario which had 'some' SMAC graphics but that I would have loved to have found and played a full Alpha Centauri scenario for Civ2 MGE or ToT using imported SMAC graphics and now I find this.. it did exist!!! but.. it.. did.. not.. get.. finished.. urgh.. lol

Download in the OP still works and as you can see below my testing shows that what was there was already pretty good.. just no units, buildings, techs and rule changes sadly.

upload_2021-6-5_22-42-8.png

Can see from Andrew's picture earlier in this thread that he did some cool city screen work, more icon work and had the units & buildings implemented...

And I can see from John Valez @CivPartisan 's final post that he at least had a copy of the finished unit and rules file and maybe a more complete icons file too.
Hey Guys,

I am gathering all of the files together to see where we stand. I am going to list what I think is finished:

Terrain1.gif
Terrain2.gif
Units.gif
Rules.txt
Title.gif

Issues to resolve:

Game.txt needs to be reworked and has "high priority"
Menu.txt needs to be reworked but has "low priority"
Events.txt needs to be rewritten
Icons.gif unfinished "insufficient graphics available at this time"
People.gif unfinished "insufficient graphics available at this time"
lables.txt needs to be reworked but has "low priority"

I will reiterate that this project is still alive. It has undergone numerous changes but will continue.

Andrew is long gone but John V was only here a few months ago so I hope he comes back as maybe we can twist his arm into releasing those final unfinished files as their dream of a perfect simulated SMAC experience in Civ2 is dead but what they got done was more than enough for a fun SMAC themed Civ2 scenario. I've already Pm'd him about some other stuff so I'll message him about this too lol!

If all else fails then.. sigh.. well I've already polished up and released (or am about to release) a few other old long lost unfinished projects on here that I cared about enough to finish for them so maybe I could do something quick and dirty with this one too. Eg I take this projects terrain, map and icons and combine it with John Mavin's rescued Alpha Centauri scenario (which has techs, buildings and units). Replace his unit graphics with smac equivalents (thankfully there's a SMAC in Civ2 cells units collection file still attached to one of Andrews posts). Then we'd have something that's better than nothing.. I'm not going to promise anything as I'm buried in so much other unfinished stuff but I'll have a think about it!

Last edited:
Any reason why this thread is a sticky?

1. It's just another mod, amongst many.
2. It's been dead for half a decade.

A decade later and still....nothing...
Who's the moderator around here?

The last one retired I think so we didn't have one lol.. until now. ;)

I've unpinned it. As much as I love this project and share the enthusiasm whoever originally pinned it had, it's been dormant for a long time and even if it wasn't it certainly holds no more importance over any of the countless other amazing projects on this forum.

Got some good news though, I'm in semi regular communication with @CivPartisan these days and he's assured me that he is actually activity working on this project again along with about 15 others haha (I know the feeling), so there is hope yet! :) I also may still do my above idea of a graphics overhaul of John Mavin's SMAC scenario using some of CivPartisan's stuff and my own. But I'm not going to do that until I've finished and released my other bigger projects over the months to come!

Well the bad news is a few more years have gone by and sadly CivPartisan has disappeared again & hasn't responded to msgs, so it's looking like this project isn't going to be finished any time soon or maybe ever sadly considering the amount of time that's passed. So I think I'll go ahead with my aforementioned plan to do that merger SMAC scenario project since I'm finally finishing up all my other scenarios and will be releasing them all soon. I also found Dracon's (SMAC) Ripoff Pack II for Civ2 in the Apolyton Civ2 backups which contain some useful SMAC graphics converted to Civ2 which in some cases rival or better CivPartisan & Andrews work in this thread.

I've changed the previously posted plans slightly in that instead of just doing a quick & dirty SMAC graphics overhaul of John Mavin’s Alpha Centauri Civ2 scenario I'm now thinking I'll build a new scenario using CivPartisan & Andrews authentic SMAC planet/chiron map with John Mavin's tech tree, buildings, units & sounds and then overhaul all the graphics using assets from CivPartisan & Andrews project files (released throughout this thread), Dracon's SMAC ripoff files, and a bunch of my own SMAC extractions with touchups on things when required. It won't be the big super authentic SMAC mod project CivPartisan & Andrew were going to do but at least it'll give us something and possible closure on this. Should CivPartisan return to finish his old project he can certainly pilfer anything he wants from my spinoff project as I'm probably going to clean up/redo a lot of the graphics and add lots of new stuff that might save him some work heh.

Last edited:
Top Bottom