Stack attacking needs improvement

alvinthegreat

Chieftain
In a war, do you usually want to fight longbowmen vs. macemen??? The answer is probably no, since when your longbowman finished off its 3-4 volley, they have to run. Civ 4's stack attack system needs revamping ex:
If you attack with a stack that includes longbowmen, knights, and/or artillary. You should be able to attack with longbowmen, but when the enemy starts to attack, the stack should automatically switch to the best vs. melee unit to hold off the attacking enemy melee. Same thing with enemy ranged. This way, i wouldn't lose units to an enemy which has an anti- my unit promotion or is just strong against it.

yea i agree, and is their a way to attack simotameasly, like at a city. Cause i bring the whole house of like 8 practorians but i have to attack with them one at a time and they get massacred. That also needs to be changed if you really cant attack.

i like the stack attack, whenever i send the whole stack my seige engines hit first doing thier colateral damage, who is up next is who ever is best against the defenders, which if you have knights or cav its usally them before that generally swordsmen. all depends on who you have with what promotions on whos goes first. thats why i love the stack, if you send them in one at a time they will switch defenders to the best against what you are sending and rip you apart.

alvinthegreat said:
In a war, do you usually want to fight longbowmen vs. macemen??? The answer is probably no, since when your longbowman finished off its 3-4 volley, they have to run. Civ 4's stack attack system needs revamping ex:
If you attack with a stack that includes longbowmen, knights, and/or artillary. You should be able to attack with longbowmen, but when the enemy starts to attack, the stack should automatically switch to the best vs. melee unit to hold off the attacking enemy melee. Same thing with enemy ranged. This way, i wouldn't lose units to an enemy which has an anti- my unit promotion or is just strong against it.

But then shouldn't the defender get that right as well?

The way it is designed, the attacker chooses one of their units, and the defender then chooses one of their units and those two battle. Defender gets the final word as to which units will be battling, so the attacker needs to choose their unit that gets the best odds against the best theing the defender has against it. (and stack attack should be doing that)

Stack attack is pretty much a must for multiplayer as it saves time. If you don't want the longow to attack, just don't select it. Just shift-ctrl click on each unit type you want to attack, it should only take a couple of seconds.

Top Bottom