Stop walls from obseleting?

Skaz881

History Major
Is there a way to keep being able to build walls? In my latest game my civics were at least two ages ahead of my tech so I lost the ability to build some walls before even researching them and I like being able to build everything, especially when you can actually see the result on the screen.

The OP is sane; perhaps y'all have never played far enough to get to this point or something?

Walls do go "obsolete" in the sense that once you've invented (IIRC) Civil Engineering, all your cities automatically get max-strength "walls" that auto-repair themselves in terms of siege mechanics, but these "modern walls" are not visible "buildings". There was even a bug related to this, where if you had a damaged wall when you invent Civil Engineering, you had an item to repair the wall in your buildable list but it was greyed out forever.

This could probably be modded, if you find somebody with the same sort of visual completionism streak to do it for you.

Yes walls become of no consequence because you have the modern weapons that circumvent the walls. :lol:
Changing things to make walls not go obsolete is silly but if it is what deem fun why not. Has to be something in the code regarding the walls going away.

Probably a DLL mechanism. Walls actually still showed up in the Production Queue addon, even if the Civil Engineering civic was already reasearched. They just couldn't be built anymore, so the queue bugged out at this point.
And actually you can still finish building them if they are in progress while you discover Civil Engineering.

This might be triggered internally by the EFFECT_ADJUST_CITIES_HAS_URBAN_DEFENSES modifier. You could try to play around with this in Modifiers.xml (i.e. comment it out). The 200 defense strength seems to be applied separately.

Top Bottom