[C3C] Swedish Empire: Renaissance Warfare (modified version of Big Bopper's Scenario)

zwei833

Emperor
Download: https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/swedish-empire-renaissance-warfare.27728/

This is a modifed version of Big Bopper's Swedish Empire Scenario, which is (probably) the best Renaissance era scenario on Civ3 ever! So, first of all, all glory to Big Bopper!

This scenario starts from 1558, covering 16th - early 18th century, most of the west, central, north and east Europe, providing 29 (with 28 playable) civs and historical accurate techs, governments and units.

What's new (compare to Big Bopper's original scenario):
1. various game crashing bugs fixed
2. adjusted civs' colours, make them similar to the civs' historical flag or unifrom colour as possible as I can.
3. new and adjusted city graphics, making city style more organize according to regions.
4. some new and adjusted unit graphics to existed units, providing more variety and historical accurate graphics.
5. All civilizations except the Independent States are playable.
Warning! Although all are playable, minor powers (Ireland, Scotland, Württemberg, Palatinate, Mecklenburg, Magdeburg, Lorraine, Hesse, and Hannover) are especially hard to play as they start with no Embassy, fewer techs, low economies, only one civ strength and only one city.
6. Various new unique units, including:
- Order Knight, armed with pollaxe and renaissance three-quarter armour, only available to Livonia. Upgrades directly to Grenadier.
- Bidenhänder, representing early mercenaries and militias armed with German two-handed sword. Available to all German civs, Austria has a special version of this unit. Upgrades directly to Grenadier.
- 16c Baltic Arquebusier, available to Brandenburg-Prussia and Livonia.
- Rodelero, unique Spainish Man-at-Arms
- Irish unique units: Kern (16c Pikeman), Gallowglass (Man-at-Arm), Arquebusier, Reiter

1.3 update:
1. Ireland is now playable, it is still a minor power though.
2. Four new unique units for Ireland: Kern (16c Pikeman), Gallowglass (Man-at-Arm), Arquebusier, Reiter.
3. Rodelero as unique Man-at Arm for Spain.
4. German civs (except Austria and Brandenburg-Prussia) can not train Man-at-Arm anymore.
5. Two new technologies: Renaissance Army and Renaissance Navy, all civs start with them. They exist in the tech tree in order to allow player to see what units can be trained at the start.
6. Various bug fix and adjustments.

Older update notes:
Spoiler :

1.1 update:
1. Scotland now starts with Embassies.
2. Württemberg, Palatinate, Mecklenburg, Magdeburg, Lorraine, Hesse, and Hannover are now playable.
- Warning! Although they're playable, they're especially hard to play as they start with no Embassy, fewer techs, low economies, only one civ strength and only one city.
- Württemberg, Hesse and Hannover can now get access to Constitutional Monarchy government in Imperial Era.
- Palatinate, Mecklenburg, Magdeburg and Lorraine can now get access to Absolute Monarchy government in Imperial Era.

1.2 update:
1. New Civ: Ireland, currently an unplayable minor Power.
2. Old unplayable Independent States renamed to Free Imperial Cities, now it only represent independent force in Germany region, Ireland is not part of this civ anymore.
3. New unique unit: 16c Baltic Arquebusier, available to Brandenburg-Prussia and Livonia. (Brandenburg-Prussia now get access to both old Landsknecht style 16c Arquebusier and this new unit, the latter is pre-placed on the Prussia part of Brandenburg-Prussia).
4. Scotland starts with no Embassies again, for balance reason.
5. Various bug fix and graphical adjustments.

This would not be the last version, I'm still working on improving this Scenario.

Credits:
(this list only include credits of new content I added)
-Kinboat, unit graphics
-imperator1961, unit graphics
-Balam-Agab, unit graphics
-CamJH, unit graphics
-Kyriakos, city graphics

Screenshots:

Techtree (Austria):
Spoiler :

Last edited:
1.1 update:
1. Scotland now starts with Embassies.
2. Württemberg, Palatinate, Mecklenburg, Magdeburg, Lorraine, Hesse, and Hannover are now playable.
- Warnning! Although they're playable, they're especially hard to play as they start with no Embassy, fewer techs, low economies, only one civ strength and only one city.
- Württemberg, Hesse and Hannover can now get access to Constitutional Monarchy government in Imperial Era.
- Palatinate, Mecklenburg, Magdeburg and Lorraine can now get access to Absolute Monarchy government in Imperial Era.

Last edited:
zwei833, this scenario is a nice surprise - and it looks very interesting! :goodjob:
I also wasn´t aware of Big Bopper's scenario. Thank you both very much for all the work you have done! :)

(Early) Military protection pacts for minor civs (and later common military protection pacts for all civs) could be an interesting idea for my upcoming CCM2 scenario, too.

zwei833, this scenario is a nice surprise - and it looks very interesting! :goodjob:
I also wasn´t aware of Big Bopper's scenario. Thank you both very much for all the work you have done! :)

(Early) Military protection pacts for minor civs (and later common military protection pacts for all civs) could be an interesting idea for my upcoming CCM2 scenario, too.

Thanks! Also can't wait for your Discovery Age scenario:goodjob:

------------------------------------

And: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1la-OtBjwbJ4L7qSBK1UxZDVS_0fUosSz/view?usp=sharing

1.2 update:

1. New Civ: Ireland, currently an unplayable minor Power.
2. Old unplayable Independent States renamed to Free Imperial Cities, now it only represent independent force in Germany region, Ireland is not part of this civ anymore.
3. New unique unit: 16c Baltic Arquebusier, available to Brandenburg-Prussia and Livonia. (Brandenburg-Prussia now get access to both old Landsknecht style 16c Arquebusier and this new unit, the latter is pre-placed on the Prussia part of Brandenburg-Prussia).
4. Scotland starts with no Embassies again, for balance reason.
5. Various bug fix and graphical adjustments.

Edit: not needed anymore, already included in the main pack.

Game crashing bug fix:

please download the file and put it under Sid Meier's Civilization III Complete\Conquests\Scenarios\Swedish Empire\Art\Wonder Splash , and override.

Will include it in next update.

Attachments

• National_Treasury_Splash.pcx
    110.3 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
1.3 update:
1. Ireland is now playable, it is still a minor power though.
2. Four new unique units for Ireland: Kern (16c Pikeman), Gallowglass (Man-at-Arm), Arquebusier, Reiter.
3. Rodelero as unique Man-at Arm for Spain.
4. German civs (except Austria and Brandenburg-Prussia) can not train Man-at-Arm anymore.
5. Two new technologies: Renaissance Army and Renaissance Navy, all civs start with them. They exist in the tech tree in order to allow player to see what units can be trained at the start.
6. Various bug fix and adjustments.

zwei833, may be you should consider to replace the 'Radar Button' in your Imperial Era techtree with the 'Garrison Button' that Vuldacon created in excellent quality some years ago: https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/garrison-button.13596/

I attache a zip file with 'x_airfields and detect' graphics holding some garrison graphics for my mod CCM1 in case you could use it in your scenario.

Attachments

• Imperial Era-Radar.jpg
    Imperial Era-Radar.jpg
    442.9 KB · Views: 1,274
  • x_airfields and detect.zip
    6.6 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
Started playing this scenario yesterday; looks great, and very diferent from what I've played. Well done.

I found one issue: the "Iron Works". It's Civilopedia entry says, at the top, it needs iron+coal. But on the bottom, it says it requires "copper". Since I can build it and don't have coal, I assume "copper" is the correct one...

I have another question: I cannot build the "national treasury". I have both gold and silver, and more than 10 cities with banks, and yet...

Being a Dane I would love to crush the Swedish Empire. :lol: We weren't exactly friendly towards eachother in those days. Fortunately we are now.

Thanks for your work and effort.

Nice work, I was enjoying the scenario (as the Swedes) and I had taken 9 cities off them and built up a modernised army ready to take the rest of Norway off the Danes.

However the Danes won by Victory Points due to campaigns elsewhere - this then caused the game to crash preventing any further play.

I would have liked to continue to exploit my strong economy and modernised army - Is this crashing bug on teh Victory Screen a known one (and if it is) is there a fix?

Nice work, I was enjoying the scenario (as the Swedes) and I had taken 9 cities off them and built up a modernised army ready to take the rest of Norway off the Danes.

However the Danes won by Victory Points due to campaigns elsewhere - this then caused the game to crash preventing any further play.

I would have liked to continue to exploit my strong economy and modernised army - Is this crashing bug on teh Victory Screen a known one (and if it is) is there a fix?
I would try reloading your last save and when you get to where it says the Danes won, hit Esc, Esc, Esc until you get to the screen that says "Wait, let me play a few more turns" and see if that works.

Best game ever! Polish hussars are fantastic, i'm pround and very happy when i playing in SER. Great job! thank You mate.

Hi, I'm new to using mods in civ 3. In fact I havent downloaded a single one. Do I have to download smt else for this mod or can I just download it and play it with the base game.
Thanks

Hi, I'm new to using mods in civ 3. In fact I havent downloaded a single one. Do I have to download smt else for this mod or can I just download it and play it with the base game.
Thanks

Jojo512, you need to play it with the Civ 3 expansion C3C (included in Civ 3 Complete). Simply extract the folder of this scenario and the biq (outside the folder of that scenario) into the scenarios folder of C3C.

Top Bottom