Team Information

Here is the password to log in to our civ in the game.

Game Password: Tw1n.St4rs

Imporant Note: Do not move or change anything when logging in, without consulting the team first. If you are unable to avoid doing something (e.g. selecting a build choice), then post in the forum stating exactly what you did so we can make sure to change it if necessary. :)

I have just set us up a team email address. This will be used for all official incoming and outgoing diplomacy.

Email: sirius.mtdg@gmail.com

Password: <B3tw33n>*St4rs*

Important Note: Do not send any emails from this address, without checking with the team first. Anyone is free, however, to check for incoming mail, and welcomed to post it in our private forum ASAP if they find any. :)

Notifications for new turns from Civstats will come to our team email address.

Civstats link: http://www.civstats.com/viewgame.php?gameid=1778
Civstats username: Team Sirius
Civstats password: Tw1n.St4rs

Presently the notifications of new turns will be forwarded to my personal email address as well as the team email address. If I'm going away for a while, I'll make sure to set it up to forward to someone else's address instead. (As far as I'm aware you can only forward to one email address at a time with Gmail; if anyone knows a way around this, feel free to let me know.)

(As far as I'm aware you can only forward to one email address at a time with Gmail; if anyone knows a way around this, feel free to let me know.)

You could always forward them in a chain:
gmail -> LP -> sirian A -> sirian B -> etc.
Or better yet:
gmail -> LP -> {sirian A, sirian B, etc}.

I know for instance how I could set up my Thunderbird to get the emails from gmail and forward them on to everyone, but that would rely on my Thunderbird as a key link in the chain, which is no good for a number of reasons. If anyone has an email account that they know could reliably receive the emails from gmail and forward them on to multiple other people that would be good though.

If we do get it working, I'd love to be able to receive a copy of the turn played emails, or even better all of the emails we get to that account. We should also try and get some people in different timezones involved so that someone is likely to be active when there's news (I don't help much with that though, as Sydney is not so far from LP's New Zealand in timezone).

Thing is, I have a Gmail account as well, so as far as I'm aware I can only forward on to one other person at a time. And the problem with a "chain" is that if one person sets it up wrong / accidentally unsets it somehow, then all the people after them don't recieve the email either. Really, it'd be ideal if all the email forwards could be made from the same initial address, but I'm not sure how to do that (or if it's even possible). I'm well aware that it'd be nice if anyone who wanted could get instant email notification of any new mail in our team email account. ;)

Ok, I've figured out how to do it. You just need to add a filter for each person that wants to receive the emails. I've already set myself up a couple of them, tested it, and it seems to work ok.

Here's how to do it:
1. Log in to the gmail account.
2. Click settings on the top right
3. Select Filters.
4. Click "create a new filter"
5. Put just a wildcard * in the "From" field (alternatively, if you only want certain emails, specify that here).
6. Click "next step"
7. Click the checkbox labelled "forward it to", and put your email address in the text field.
8. I'm not sure exactly what the "also apply filter to [n] conversations below" button does, but you may want to check it.
9. Click "Create Filter".

If all that's too hard, you could try the alternative method:
1. Send an email to the gmail account requesting to have emails forwarded.
2. Wait up to 24hrs for me (or someone else) to set it up for you.

DO NOT SET UP A FORWARDING FILTER TO ANY EMAIL WHICH MAY HAVE AN AUTO-REPLY RESPONSE (such as an out of office notification etc.). I think you can all figure out what the problem there might be...

I'm not sure exactly what the "also apply filter to [n] conversations below" button does, but you may want to check it.
It applies the filter to every email previously sent to Team Sirius. In other words, you may not want to do this if you want to avoid a whole heap of emails arriving in your inbox at once. :p

DO NOT SET UP A FORWARDING FILTER TO ANY EMAIL WHICH MAY HAVE AN AUTO-REPLY RESPONSE (such as an out of office notification etc.). I think you can all figure out what the problem there might be...
Heh... has that ever been tested by anyone? Is there a point at which the emails stop themselves forwarding, or do they keep going until one of the inboxes overflows? :lol:

Ok, I've figured out how to do it. You just need to add a filter for each person that wants to receive the emails. I've already set myself up a couple of them, tested it, and it seems to work ok.

Here's how to do it:
3. Select Filters.
4. Click "create a new filter"
5. Put just a wildcard * in the "From" field (alternatively, if you only want certain emails, specify that here).
6. Click "next step"
7. Click the checkbox labelled "forward it to", and put your email address in the text field.
8. I'm not sure exactly what the "also apply filter to [n] conversations below" button does, but you may want to check it.
9. Click "Create Filter".

If all that's too hard, you could try the alternative method:
1. Send an email to the gmail account requesting to have emails forwarded.
2. Wait up to 24hrs for me (or someone else) to set it up for you.

I think your both looking at it the hard way. You don't need to setup forwarding with all this complications. Instead you just need to retrieve a copy to your own inbox using gmails smtp server. This gets your email to log in to the teams email account and create a copy.

Gmail is an easy example:
3. Accounts and Import
4. Add pop3 email account (check mail using pop3 section)
5. follow instructions and its done

NOTE: Please make sure to LEAVE the original in the teams inbox.

I personally wont be doing this but thought it might save everyones efforts.

You can set up a group and then forward to the group. I've done it that way on two previous teams. :D

The pop3 thing works too, but I prefer forwarding key stuff to an address that my blackberry receives. (can't use my main email for that, too much spam)

I would like to use Thunderbird to receive team email, but this requires enabling IMAP in the team gmail account settings. Is there a reason I could not do so?

I would like to use Thunderbird to receive team email, but this requires enabling IMAP in the team gmail account settings. Is there a reason I could not do so?

It's so long ago that I've forgotten exactly why, but I went through this process already and couldn't get it to work. In order to get team emails from my home (and work) email client, I've set up auto-forwarding instead. It works quite well. The instructions to set it up are in post #7 of this thread, feel free to use the easier 2-step method (or a variant) if you like.

It's also extremely easy in Thunderbird to spoof email addresses, I have mine set up to spoof the team account so that I can send diplomatic messages from work in Thunderbird. I can give instructions for that too if you'd like.

The end result is almost identical to having it set up in IMAP anyway in terms of usability.

It's so long ago that I've forgotten exactly why, but I went through this process already and couldn't get it to work. In order to get team emails from my home (and work) email client, I've set up auto-forwarding instead.

I enabled IMAP in the team gmail account (under the settings tab), and I can now get team emails through Thunderbird. I've done this before with my personal gmail account with no problems, but if anyone suddenly has trouble with team email being forwarded, let me know.

It seems Google was complaining about our email account being accessed from multiple locations around the world (because, of course, it's a shared account :p ). I turned off the alert feature, so hopefully it should be all good now.

(Incidentally, not sure why it only just alerted us now when it's been active for a year or so... hmm, I wonder how "good" their software really is at alerting you to "strange behavior". ;) )

I wonder if someone has to monitor it or look in on it and say "Gee people in Italy, NZ, America and Germany are accessing this mail account? That can't be right."

You'd think they'd have an option for "this is a shared account" or something. There must be quite a few accounts like this that are shared for various reasons. Maybe they just haven't thought of that yet. :)

If the email account shuts you out again, you can answer the email verification question with my email:

lordparkin{at}gmail<dot>com

Hopefully that should fix things. :)

Top Bottom