Technology bonuses

Winston

Warlord
Hello, I would like to make a request to Firaxis that Conquests should include options in the editor that would allow certain civ advances to improve existing city improvements and units. Improvements in communication should reduce corruption because they would allow the State to expand its influence over its empire. Advances such as rocketry should improve existing infantry as they would have access to more sophisticated weaponry and wargear. Advances in medicine and the arts should provide happiness bonuses to a civs citizens. With these ideas in mind i suggest the following:

Happiness bonuses:
1) When a civ discovers Free Artistry and/or Music Theory; they should make colliseums and cathedrals more effective by allowing them to provide one more content citizen (so if a civ knew both Free Artistry and Music Theory then Colliseums would make 4 citizens content and cathedrals would make 5 citizens content)
2) The discovery of Genetics should make hospitals more effective by allowing them to make two citizens content.
3) The discovery of Medicine should allow the construction of a new small wonder called 'Medical Breakthrough', which would cost 400 shields, provide 3 culture per turn, and would improve hospitals by allowing them to also provide the benefits of granaries and make one citizen content.

Anti Corruption Bonuses:
1) Each time a civ discovers either Printing Press, Radio, or computers; the Palace should become 25% more effective at reducing corruption (If a civ has all 3, then the Palace becomes 75% more effective)
2) When a civ constructs the Intelligence Agency small wonder; Police Stations should become 50% more effective at reducing corruption.

Military Bonuses:
1) Infantry, Guerillas, Marines, and Paratroopers should get +2 Attack and +2 Defence each time a civ discovers either Rocketry or Synthetic Fibres (therefore Infantry would become 10 Attack 14 Defence if a civ knew both techs).

Suggestions for Industrial Great Wonders:

At the moment, civ 3 only has 4 Great Wonders for the Industrial Era. I think Firaxis should increase this number by either bringing back the Eiffel Tower and the Statue of Liberty or by creating new ones. I would like to suggest:

Edison's Lab (Scientific wonder available with Electricity) that would cost 560 shields and would function like Copernicus' Observatory

Lunar Society (Scientific, Industrial, Commercial wonder available with Steam Engine) that would cost 560 shields and would function like the Iron Works (increases production in the city where it is built by 100%)

If anyone thinks these are good ideas or bad ideas then please post comments to let me know. If anyone knows how to manipulate the existing editor to achieve these effects I would appreciate the info

I like all of them. Plus the civ2 1'st to philosophy gets free tech.

Originally posted by Winston
Military Bonuses:
1) Infantry, Guerillas, Marines, and Paratroopers should get +2 Attack and +2 Defence each time a civ discovers either Rocketry or Synthetic Fibres (therefore Infantry would become 10 Attack 14 Defence if a civ knew both techs).

This might be added in the new editor as the special leader unit in the Medieval Japan scenario becomes better during the game. I'm not sure though...

sealman, the point is to have it in the game, in every game with out using editor.

The original poster, Winston, asked for editor options. So, i think sealman was being a nice guy to tell him where he could get advice using the editor. Just some miscommunication her, I guess.

I liked it in the old days (Civ 2 iirc) when colosseums made one extra person happy upon the discovery of electricity, and cathedrals one less happe upon discovery of Communism.

Hi everyone, thanks for the feedback. I realise that it would be possible to kindof replicate the happiness and anti corruption effects with extra city improvements and small wonders but thats not really an ideal solution. It might also be possible to upgrade the infantry, marines, paratroopers, and guerillas with the existing editor by adding in equivalent units for rocketry and synthetic fibres and then keeping the shield costs the same so they would upgrade for free. But these upgrades, happiness bonuses, and anti corruption bonuses should be automatic and shouldnt require the construction of new improvements etc. If the upgrades are automatic then it would be guaranteed that the AI would also benefit from the tech bonuses.
I think its important to upgrade advances like Free Artistry, Music Theory and Genetics because they are useless once their respective Great Wonders are built and there should be more of a reward for making the effort to obtain them. Infantry, guerillas etc seem to be cannon fodder when they come up against massed formations of tanks so I think they need to be improved a bit. A little tweaking in these areas could make a big difference in rebalancing the game so that tanks dont dominate quite so much and players that pursue peaceful, cultural advances are justly rewarded.
@slothman & Iztvan I also miss the old civ 2 effects from techs like philosophy and theology and it would be nice to see them reintroduced back into civ 3.
I was also looking at ideas and requests from other threads in this forum and I think there are a lot of good ideas that would really improve and rebalance the game, I hope Firaxis are taking notes!

Top Bottom