Test 093

Bolleque

Chieftain
Viceroy

I have not been palying China for many versions. Current status 900AD.
Barbarians are only a shadow of those wild hordes in previous versions. It is much easier to defend. Previously most of economic efforts were spent on army. Now my economy is much more developped.
I have 4 cities - Beijing (moved to the sea), one on the place of Shanghai - catching 2 sea resources, one in Korea, one in southern China close to copper.

Confucianism is found in distant land. Taoism and Christianity :eek: by me.

Greece KIA. Others I do not know. I contacted only India and Japan.
Japan declared war on me about 800AD but no invasion. I had no navy so they killed my fishers :cry: . Later I did the same to them :ar15:

I grabbed most of early wonders.

Beijing moved east to coast.
Next city in Korea - only grassland surrounded by resources.
Then in Shanghai area - to catch fish, clam and marble.
Then next to copper source to cover as many resources as possible.

Only one dye between Beijing and Shanghai left as well as western-most rice + incense once Beijing moved to west (and of course wheat half way to Korea).

Korea founded 2 religions ;) :p
Marble boosted wonders.

Then I am thinking to conquer Indochina and prepare for Mongols of course - I need pikemen.

Here's a screenshot of where I put my cities:

Macau picks up the bronze, Luoyang can become a monster in production, and Hangzhou is great at everything except production. I've since added Dairen (next to the river on the coast near Korea) and Tianjin (near Hanoi, except on the coast)

I played up to XIX century when first Congress took place. My comments and frustration I expressed in a topic about Congresses ;)

But the history was more or less like this since my last post:

I conquered Angkor and settled on Java so total 6 cities.

All civs are still in the game except for Greece (killed by Rome and Persia). Because I found Christianity situation in Europe complicated quite much. England and Russia are Christian, Germany is Jewish :lol: :rotfl: and the rest Muslim.

Rome was pretty powerful throughout the game.
Arabia once started was very high ranked - but finally lost competition with Persia and now is very low. Isolated Japan is at the bottom with Mongolia which did nothing. Mongols have not invaded China :eek: or anybody else.

Aztec and Inca once at the bottom are continously improving. Mali enjoys Power of Wealth which seems to be really a power and now is ranked 5th.

I am a leader followed by Spain, Rome and England.

Strange things in my neighbourhood - Persia conquered a city in Birma (I dont remember the name) and Lhasa conquered by Mali :confused:

Spain correctly settled in South America (Inca is present in Argentina) and Phillippines. In Phillippines I also planned to settle but Spaniards were quicker. However they found 2 cities with no logic :confused: There is no place for 2.

English have 3 cities in Australia.

In Europe there were a few wars: Germany with Russia, Germany with France, Engalnd with Spain. Asia is very peaceful. Except for Persia - Arabia and Persia - Rome conflict there was no war in entire Asia last 1000 years (when Japan attacked me). Peaceful poor Mongolia exists on my northern border.

India is very poor. They covered the area of historic India, they were not involved in any big conflict - so I am very surprised to see them performing so badly.

in my game with spain, i came up with the following conclusions:

1. after egypt reaching their present borders of today, they do not continue to expand. instead they just get invaded.

2. poor rome. they NEVER even got anywhere. as soon as france came, a few turns after the romans were gone.

3. random war. greece, "pleased" with me, same religion with me, open borders, declared war on me. odd.

093 game with Rome, mid-level

I loved not knowing date until Calendar :king:
When I had it, it was AD 500 and I faced some barbarian waves of attack,
but they were not a real threat...

I had Gades and when Spain was born I did no let it flip - wartime! :)
(Alas, I had to let Vindobona go the Germans...)
The war against Spain was glorious, even though some of my units
also changed nationality and became Spanish...
...but they went against not me but France, as Louis became my ally!

In the end, I conquered all Iberia and Spain was out of the game by 1100...

In Africa, Carthage flipped to me and also another city on the shore east to it.
In fact, I have the biggest culture in the world, and especially in Europe.
This helped to secure land in southern France - without cities there...

My empire is thus made up of Italy, Iberia and Carthage,
plus I made a colony in north Sout-America and South-Africa,
securing important resources...

I moved my capital to Mediolanum - I just don't want the center of Christianity
be subject of Congress-flip! :eek:
But will Rome be in such danger?

First congress came in 1645:
Only in one case the "YES" vote for a request: Egypt asked for Sparta,
and Hatsy got it - with the help of my vote! ;)
Thus, Greek, one of my big rivals, got weakened...
Will it mean cooling of diplomacy with him?

I asked to get "back" Vindobona, but got strongly turned down...
I suppose, no one wants to help the leader :)

I lead by ca. 250 points in score (1300),
next are Greece, China and Persia, Egypt...

That is the state of the world in 1650

That's where we are now

I continued my Chinese game until 1960 AD. The more I played the more wars happened in the world.
Finally one involved myself after 1000 years of peace in China. France declared war on me. My army once very powerful was left under-invested for last couple of centuries. French army that marched through Persia and India was really big - having maybe 30 units. Southern China was heavily pillaged but I won. Peace treaty is not yet signed.

My general comment - world is not very advanced. China-French war happended in mid XX century. In real life it could be a nuclear war but our basic equipment was Cavalry, Riflemen and Cannon. I am the most advanced and I have Artillery. But no tanks, no planes. I played on easiest level.

V. Soma said:
Bolleque: try mid-level ;)

Then my opponents would be more advanced but not myself ;)

If on the lowest level I could not get tanks in 1950 I am a hopeless player :lol:

Bolleque said:
Then my opponents would be more advanced but not myself ;)

If on the lowest level I could not get tanks in 1950 I am a hopeless player :lol:

not necessarily, as you probably had no chance to trade techs to quicken your advance ;)

I am playing as China on easy level, it is 1742 and I have Infantry running around taking back the cities I lose in congresses... I haven't really traded an techs with the AIs (or haven't recieved any from them). I am more than double the closest AI. Maybe I should try the harder difficulty. AIs performing the best are Germany, England, Rome and Spain. England would probably be performing a lot better, but I had colonised most of North America before the colonisation trigger I think. Europe was mostly peaceful because they were all Christian, except for a Roman-Spanish conflict.

I found that not being able to clear jungles until biology really hurt India, they declared war on my infantry when they still had archers and axemen. Is it a bug or intended that you can clear jungle if you place a mine or collect a resource? Persia was defeated quite quickly in my game, the Barbarians i think. Mongolia never really had a chance as i had cities to the north and prevented them from defecting, they disappeared/were defeated the turn after they appeared because they had no cities there.

Maybe because it was easy (I normally play on noble) but I didn't see many Barbarians early in the game, and didn't find any cities spawn near me. I got most of the early wonders, and the AI didn't have a chance at renaissance or later ones. The congress system is really annoying, especially when civs take a city half a world away from them. I really would like a way to disable it.

What could be buggy - is a possibility to build a mine on hills with jungle - even if no resources there. Then you could destroy the mine and build something else because the jungle is no longer there ;)

Top Bottom