1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] The Climate Change is Irrelevant in My Game

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by BarbarianHunter, Feb 16, 2019.

?

Are you having any difficulty getting climate change to manifest?

1. Yes. No matter what I do...NOTHING even close to relevant!

12 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. Yes, nearly nothing or irrelevant.

16 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. Yes, but climate change is somewhat problematic

9 vote(s)
    13.2%
  4. No, climate change is a bit more of a problem than I expected.

12 vote(s)
    17.6%
  5. No.I don't seem to be able to do anything about it. Perhaps I'll avoid the coast in future games.

11 vote(s)
    16.2%
  6. NO!!! Climate change is completely out of control!!!

8 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

Units being the primary source of CO2 emissions also creates a problem for those of us hoping to see the AI field larger, more modern military forces at higher difficulty levels.

If all AI civs build a large enough military to properly defend themselves and offer a threat to the player, it sounds like anything you do on the economic front will be close to irrelevant to the eventual global warming.

2. Onin

Onin Chieftain

Honestly I think the entire system could use a little tweaking but I really like the element it adds to the game. It doesn't completely change the game by any stretch but it adds something for me to consider. It definitely seems like something that will get more problematic as you go up in difficulty levels as it takes longer to get to the techs you need to avoid the problems.

My favorite part of the new system is definitely flooding and volcanoes. They can be annoying but the rewards and the ability to build a dam really makes it interesting.

3. Bechhold

Bechhold King

Not in my second game. Playing as Sweden and there was no CO2 until the 1960's when I started to upgrade to modern units. Just don't built Coal Plants, or Oil, or even Nuclear (no meltdowns) and you're fine. Hydro power and renewable's suffices so far.

4. lordhaw

lordhaw Chieftain

My game has very high CO2 levels, up to level 7 on the scale and I'm the biggest contributor. And I'm not sure why. It says coal is the biggest and then oil but I have no more coal plants (upgraded to oil and then nuclear). I have a hydro electric dam and most cities have solar or wind power. I lost a seaside resort, a commercial district and an industrial district to flooding...completely wiped out because I couldn't get the flood barriers built in time. I got rid of my ironclads. I understand oil being high due to my mechanized army (or I assume they contribute) but still don't know where my coal usage is coming from. But the global warming was a problem in this game. The flooding came quicker than I expected it to.

Nuclear plants are annoying due to the continual maintenance. You've got to remember to do them.

5. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Emperor

Trees absorb CO2 so that makes sense.

6. VCrakeV

VCrakeV Prince

So, if chopping less slows climate change, does planting forests help?

7. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

Anyone building railroads?

If so, are they really beneficial?

Also if so, do they continue to use coal for the entire game?

Pietato likes this.
  8. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

You can't make a coherent case that year is irrelevant. It requires simultaneously ignoring and implicating reality to make such a case. That's not how things work.

We'll see if anything egregious comes of it. I expect it to be more relevant than Civ 4 when all is said and done, but largely ignored based on current state.

9. Ed Ruffin

Ed Ruffin Chieftain

Railroads create 1 CO2 per tile but only when you build them. (On marathon speed anyway.) Unlike units they don't continue producing CO2. The speed improvement makes them worth it, IMHO.

That's what I want to know. I'm doing nothing but planting trees and it's not changing the Deforestation Level.

10. Dux1

Dux1 Warlord

Having played a few games in GS now, I think the core of the climate system is pretty good, but the numbers are off. IMO, it should be tweaked in three ways:
    1. The CO2 effect on global temperature should be at least twice as gradual. Currently it seems that once climate change starts, it runs away far too quickly for any player to have a meaningful impact reducing it. On standard speed I'm typically encountering no more than 10-15 turns between phases, which is way too fast.
    2. The effect that climate change has on natural disaster frequency should be substantially increased. This effect currently maxes out at around a 5% increase, which is too insignificant to really matter, particularly late in the game.
    3. Finally, there needs to be a better way to influence polluting civs via the World Congress. There are climate-related resolutions that randomly come up sometimes, and there is a climate-based global competition, but all of these tend to come up too late. I think slowing the climate change progression would help with this, but I would also like to see a climate-based emergency that can be called through a special session to target a primary polluter through economic sanctions or resource restrictions.

11. kb27787

kb27787 Deity

They really need to make this more severe especially since it comes too late in the game to have any real effect.

Make it such that at level1 all coastal non cliff tiles get flooded and all tiles 1 tile inland (except those blocked by cliffs become coastal) then the next phase the cliffs are gone and the ocean eats up one tile further. Can keep going until we get a picture of Noah's flood and the whole world is covered with seasteads except the mountains.

12. OmegaDestroyer

OmegaDestroyer King

I am currently playing as Dido and beelined to break walls. Got them all built with very little CO2 in the atmosphere. Then I went HARD into building coal plants. I have caused the CO2 to spike and smile looking over all the flooded AI territory.

agonistes likes this.
  13. Greasy Dave

Greasy Dave Prince

I am afraid its less relevant at higher difficulties. I havent tried at deity yet but at immortal i can completely ignore it. I complete an sv before it even manifests. When it does manifest it takes out a couple of coastal hexes. Nothing that would hinder me at all.

The idea of putting it in the game is great. The implementation is very bad. It is toothless. A player can ignore it and not be slowed down. A player who chooses to try to prevent it actually gains nothing and possibly even slows himself or herself down. In a way it is as buggered as the real world because even if a country reduces its own emmissions the emmissions from the us china and eu will still effect them.

I am not sure what they can ro to improve it. Possibly making a more significant diplo and game effect against hhe highest polluters. But this would require serious rebalancing and rethinking the mecganisn

acluewithout likes this.
  14. Pietato

Pietato Emperor

This.

Also, units need to produce less CO2, and trees need to remove it.

acluewithout likes this.
  15. GymCee

GymCee Chieftain

I haven't enjoyed this mechanic at all. I played on after winning to see what I could do about it and completely negated my own contributions but I couldn't negate the AI's contributions so Climate Change continued and given how much effort I'd put in this was annoying. We got to stage 3 before I went balistic on countering it but I was the only player with power stations and despite all my generation being nuclear or solar my contribution went up due to my units. This was a real buzz kill on trying to build my stabdard armed forces. No way could you build a half deent modern army/navy wihtout climate change. Also once I had solar and wind power there is no opportunity to decommision your nukes or upgrade them further to something without the radiation risk so you spend far too much effort recommissioning the buggers to avoid meltdowns.
    I planted trees everywhere I could but in a global scale didn't make any difference, I don't know if this is due to replants not being included in the stats or if the lack of available land for my builders was the issue.

Also loved seasteads finally allows you to get some use from ocean and coast heavy cities.with some decent improvements bonuses.

This climate change function seems a bit clumsy and the most meaningful approach is to ignore it as the things you can control vs the things you need and the relative impacts just seems off. Also my contribution as a rate per turn would be really helpful with a breakdown of usage so I can target improvements and if units ends up being the main driver an ability to decarbonise my units would be bloody appreciated, that and reduce their impact.

PS this may be my first post but I have ben a long time lurker and played every iteration and update since the very first edition on my venerable Amiga 500.

16. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

Welcome aboard, @GymCee.

GymCee, acluewithout and Pietato like this.