The English

I hate England. I mean, I respect the 'history' and everything, but in CIV, it just isn't practical to use England. Having a quick start means everything, and England can't offer a quick start, as you have admitted. azzaman says
the English are kicka$$ researchers. in my experience, they are always tech leader or close to.
Do you play on Cheiftan? Because I can be tech leader without trying with ANYONE on Cheiftan. Admit it. The MoW is terrible. just research ironclads, and they're already obsolete. And I'd like to see you attack a stack of battleships with MoW, because they're useful
well into the modern era
according to you. You keep saying, England is great in the right situation, but everyone is. Thats just looser talk 'cuz England is terrible. Thank you for writing the article, but England is terrible. Germany all the way!

Do you have [civ3] or [c3c]?

In [civ3], yes, England sucks, but in [c3c], its one of the best civs for cash.;)

Marcos218 said:
I hate England. I mean, I respect the 'history' and everything, but in CIV, it just isn't practical to use England. Having a quick start means everything, and England can't offer a quick start, as you have admitted.

Do you play on Cheiftan? Because I can be tech leader without trying with ANYONE on Cheiftan. Admit it. The MoW is terrible. just research ironclads, and they're already obsolete. And I'd like to see you attack a stack of battleships with MoW, because they're useful [into the modern era] according to you.

You keep saying, England is great in the right situation, but everyone is. Thats just looser talk 'cuz England is terrible. Thank you for writing the article, but England is terrible. Germany all the way!

Where do you get that he plays on Chieftain? MoW leaves things too be desired, but can dominate naval froces if you know what you are doing. Enslavement is huge. Of course naval combat is much more prominent in multiplayer than against the AI.

Just because a civ can be dominant in a niche does not make it horrible. If you think about it, every civ has its niche. AGR sucks without freshwater.

PS: In my experience, Germany sucks and I only play them because of my German heritage. SCI + MIL is bad synergy and their UU is non-existant. Game is won by the IA if going for a war strategy.

Marcos218 said:
Do you play on Cheiftan? Because I can be tech leader without trying with ANYONE on Cheiftan. Admit it. The MoW is terrible. just research ironclads, and they're already obsolete. And I'd like to see you attack a stack of battleships with MoW, because they're useful according to you.

In case you didnt see my sig, i play on Emperor. And when i said that the English are normally tech leader, i meant as an ai as well as with the human. And if you research Ironclads, you aren't playing the right way. Ironclads is a useless tech, dont research it. If you want a dominate navy, beeline to combustion.

You keep saying, England is great in the right situation, but everyone is. Thats just looser talk 'cuz England is terrible. Thank you for writing the article, but England is terrible. Germany all the way!

No offence, but England is a much better civ than germany. england can just about always be at least decent, while germany is often a backwards suicidal civ with an ancient age army in the Modern Era.

My first emperor win was a diplomatic as england, and I didn't know what I was doing. I like england, especially in Conquests. Man-o'war kicks ass.

My second emp win was domination as, you guessed it, England.

Granted, all that is on an arch map with 80 % water - but why play England on a pangea?

And the man'o'war *is* useful in the modern age - for one thing, you probably have a huge fleet of enslaved ones if you have been war like, which is essentially a huge fleet of bombardment units. They can't kill a battleship, but 20 of them can bombard the hell out of one for your destroyers to kill, if you want. They dominate the late MA naval forces and can hold their own with iron clads.

Context is all - England wont' compete against Iroquois, Persia and Aztec on a small pangea - but then, those guys will all have trouble on a arch map. Well, maybe not iroquois, who can maybe do well on any map.

Ansar_the_King said:
Do you have [civ3] or [c3c]?

In [civ3], yes, England sucks, but in [c3c], its one of the best civs for cash.;)

Scince I have Vinnila (for a couple of days) I'll say my experiences with England have been... crapy. I acctualy have "England hunts" where I take any civ that could get a vengance on England(France and Zulu usualy) and take em out by 1000 B.C.

Sry off topic. I will say this post has convinced me to try em out when I get conquests.:goodjob:

AutomatedTeller said:
My first emperor win was a diplomatic as england, and I didn't know what I was doing. I like england, especially in Conquests. Man-o'war kicks ass.

My second emp win was domination as, you guessed it, England.

Granted, all that is on an arch map with 80 % water - but why play England on a pangea?

And the man'o'war *is* useful in the modern age - for one thing, you probably have a huge fleet of enslaved ones if you have been war like, which is essentially a huge fleet of bombardment units. They can't kill a battleship, but 20 of them can bombard the hell out of one for your destroyers to kill, if you want. They dominate the late MA naval forces and can hold their own with iron clads.

Context is all - England wont' compete against Iroquois, Persia and Aztec on a small pangea - but then, those guys will all have trouble on a arch map. Well, maybe not iroquois, who can maybe do well on any map.

Overall the Iroquois are probably the best civ in the game. When I done the reviews after Ision they were consistantly the easiest civs on most settings. England is perhaps one of the more interesting civs.

Top Bottom