Tip to expand the Asset Limit and use more Asset Mods in Civ VI

Zegangani

King
For those of you who want to use more Mods that add Assets to the Game than the Asset Limit Bug allows, there is a small Fix for that, that I've posted on Reddit, but in case you didn't see it, here it is:

In order to use more Asset Mods that the Asset Limit Bug doesn't allow, many People disable certain DLCs in order to use some of those Mods, and some refrain from using such Mods altogether. Modders aren't able to Fix that Bug, so the Only Fix to that must come from Firaxis. However, it's more than a Year since the Bug was first introduced and yet Firaxis hasn't done anything to fix that.

But are we Now left making decisions between mutually exclusive DLCs and Mods forever? I don't know, but in the meantime, here is a workaround for using more Asset Mods than you currently can.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a simple yet effective way to use more Asset Mods than the Asset Limit Bug would normally allow, which doesn't even require disabling certain DLCs (but disabling some is advisable), but requires some manual Actions to make, and it comes at the cost of something else: 3D Animated Leaders.

Since I don't enable Leader Animations when playing the Game, I renamed all the Game's BLP Leader Folders that contain the animated Leader Assets (FYI the size of all the animated Leader Assets, of the base game and DLCs, is +4 GB!) to stop the Game from loading them, to test if I can use more Asset Mods that way. And surprisingly, it allowed me to use All the Urban Complexity Mods allongside warfare Expanded Complete Edition, Civ V Skin, all the Resource Mods out there except Sukritact's Oceans (which I just didn't enable when I tested this, might have worked as well), and many Wonder Mods.

1) Here are some Mods that I managed to get working without disabling any DLCs, but the Scenarios only:
  • Districts, Buildings and Improvements: All Urban Comlexity Mods except Spirituality and Worship, Bridge District, Watchtower Improvement, Sukritact's Egypt Rework, City Lights.
  • Wonders: Tower Bridge, Burj Khalifa, Neuschwanstein, Porcelain Tower, Brandenburg Gate, Globe Theatre, Leaning Tower of Pisa, Uffizi, Empire State Building, Itsukushima Shrine, CN Tower.
  • Resources: Resourceful 2, Sukritact's Resources, Latin American Resources, CIVITAS Resources,
  • Map Skins and Natural Wonders: Civ V Skin Mod, Wetlands, Sukritact's Ngorongoro Crater, Great Blue Hole and Grand Canyon,
  • Units: Warfare Expanded Complete Edition and Armored Assault.

2) And here are the Mods that I managed to get working with also disabling babylon, Maya&GranColumbia and Portugal DLCs and the Scenarios:
  • Districts, Buildings and Improvements: All Urban Comlexity Mods except Spirituality and Worship, More Maritime Seaside Sectors, Bridge District, Watchtower Improvement, Sukritact's Egypt Rework.
  • Wonders: Both National Wonders Mods (8 Wonders in Total), CN Tower, Arecibo, Kinkakuji, Empire State Building, Temple of Poseidon, Tower Bridge, Burj Khalifa, Neuschwanstein, Porcelain Tower, Brandenburg Gate, Globe Theatre, Leaning Tower of Pisa, Uffizi, Itsukushima Shrine, Abu Simbel, Globe Theatre, Three Gorges Dam, St' Peters Basilica, Borobudur. (27!)
  • Resources: Resourceful 2, Sukritact's Resources, CIVITAS Resources.
  • Map Skins and Natural Wonders: Civ V Skin Mod, Hillier Hills, Wetlands, Sukritact's Ngorongoro Crater/Tonle Sap/Great Blue Hole and Grand Canyon,
  • Units: Warfare Expanded Complete Edition and Armored Assault, Steal and Thunder Unique Units.

That's a whole lot of Asset heavy Mods that worked by disabling only the Animated Leaders and some few DLCs. A good Deal if you ask me. And I have to admit, I have a bit old Laptop (AMD A8/ Radeon R5 Graphics/8GB Ram/HDD Storage), that I'm playing Civ on, that just meets the requirements to play the Game at low Graphic Settings. So People that have better Computers might be able to use much more Mods than my Old one is capable of (it doesn't make a huge difference in terms of stretshing the Asset Limit, but it does that a little bit and having up-to-date Graphic Drivers seem to also play a little role).

However, I couldn't get Warfare Expanded Reloaded to work when disabling WE Complete Edition, Steel&Thunder Unique Units and some others. Perhaps if I disable more Mods it might work. And I also haven't yet tested this much to see which mod combination would allow me to also use City Lights and City Styles. (In case of City Lights, it's possible to get it to work,but WE Reloaded and City Styles have too many xlp entries that prevent them to be used alongside many mods that add Assets)

Now,

How to prevent the Game from loading 3D animated Leaders:
  • First, launch the game and go to Game Options / Graphics and set Animated Leaders to static. Then Exit the Game.
  • For disabling Base Game Animated Leaders go to:
...\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Platforms\Windows\BLPs
  • For DLCs go to:
...\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\DLC. And for every DLC Folder in that Folder go to Platforms\Windows\BLPs, like in this Babylon DLC Folder:

...\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\DLC\Babylon\Platforms\Windows\BLPs

And rename the Folder that's called "Leaders" to something like "Leaders - prevent Asset load". All what that does is make the Game don't recognize the Folders that contain animated Leader Assets, so it doesn't load them. But Static Leader Graphics get still loaded, because they aren't in that Folder.

Another Tip: you can do the same thing with modded animated Leaders. Just find the Mod Folder and go to Platforms\Windows\BLPs and rename the Folder named "Leaders"

And don't forget: If you check the inegrity of the files of the Game via Steam, Steam will download those Folders and the Game will load those Assets again. So when you do that, rename the Leaders Folders back to "Leaders" (so that Steam won't download them) till the integrity check is done, and then rename them back again.

Have Fun with .. Just .. One .. More .. Asset Heavy Mod!

Top Bottom