TSG58 After Action thread

My initial dilemma was whether to try and play a good Culture game or whether to try and play a good Austria game. I decided to go for the latter since I thought it would be more fun (and it was), but it also lead to some decisions which are not intuitively the best when aiming for a Cultural Victory.

Very nice write-up, and it is refreshing to see somebody adapt the strategy so different from what I consider a standard cultural victory, and be so successful. I wonder if my understanding of the game is as good as i thought.

Game: Civ5 GOTM 58
Date submitted: 2013-04-26
Reference number: 28815
Your name: FrostK
Game status: Culture Victory
Game date: 1842AD
Turns played: 291
Base score: 1875
Final score: 3232
Time played: 2:02

One city, puppeting non-cultural CS when possible, ally with cultural. Tradition->Piety->Patronage->Freedom->Commerce. No aggression (Since war on imperor is too easy), only several research agreements (which is obviously silly), weak sience as a result. Didnt get much from religion since enemy prophets were coming often. Very lazy style -(
For sure could make it

Darn, didnt post my score and such here...just uploaded the savefile in the system you've got. Is that enough?
Btw, were can I find the afterscore thread?

Darn, didnt post my score and such here...just uploaded the savefile in the system you've got. Is that enough?
Btw, were can I find the afterscore thread?
Uploading the save file is enough. We asked for the scores in case we need to verify that info.

The Results thread will be posted after the end date of the game, in the case of this game, it is 1 May. We usually take a few days to process results, so expect the thread about the 5th or 6th of May. :)

Uploading the save file is enough. We asked for the scores in case we need to verify that info.

The Results thread will be posted after the end date of the game, in the case of this game, it is 1 May. We usually take a few days to process results, so expect the thread about the 5th or 6th of May. :)

Ah, nice. Looking forward for my first results in GOTM. Hope not to end up last at least :p

Btw, there should be a link to GOTM under the Civilization 5 tab on the frontpage, as it is under the Civilization IV tab. Could be a little blurry for new players finding their way here :confused:

Game: Civ5 GOTM 58
Reference number: 28855
Your name: Passionato
Game status:Incomplete Retired
Game date: 1908AD
Turns played: 328
Base score: 555
Final score: 555
Time played: 4:03:00

Was doing very well until turn 310. Completed Liberty/Tradition/Freedom, then one policy left with Piety/Commerce. Took Eiffel Tower/Louvre. Had tons of GAs. However, because of Piety and all those artists slots, techs lagged and was put in serious danger at t310 when Iroquoi invaded me. Tried everything since I saw all the troops coming to me; Iroquois would not go on any other war, nor could find anyone fight against him. This was the first war I was involved, and (miraculously) held all those Rocket Artill's, Mech Infantries, Bombers with three Crossbow/one Gatling/and Infantries that I started producing when Iroquois declared war on me. Prague held much of the troops till t320 and then fell. Could not hold any longer after that, and retired when my capital fell.

Lesson learned: Don't get too greedy.

After a time not playing the Game of the Month series, again my first try with G&K. It was my first game with religion and first game on this difficulty. Unfortunately due to 3 DoW's by Hiawatha, I finally lost around turn 360. Was close with finishing policies, only needed to finish 6 or so.

I learned the hard way the spam of AI missionaries and Prophets and lost my religion half through the game. However, I learned a lot of relegion and culture games. Next time I think I am able to achieve victory. But for now try the game of the Dutch...

- How many cities did you build and how many did you decide to acquire?
4 which I wanted. Lost Salzburg in the mid game but finally was able to take it back.

- How did you use religion or spying to your advantage?
Used relegion, but spammed too late my own cities (I thought they would obtain it by themself.
Used spies for techs and later for couping cultural CS

- How did diplomacy go with your neighbors?
Theodora friend for always. Alex DoW'ed me early, but it was Hiawatha who stabbed me in the back 3 times.

- How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions?
I had to deal with DoW'es of friends which was relatively new for me.

- Were your UA and UU helpful?
UA almost two times, but England conquered the CS I was allied with. Only build one UU, which was not very helpful against infantry in the later game.

- Was your UB helpful?
Yes, cranked some GA due to the coffee house.

- Did you save Social Policies, why did you do so and what affect did this have on your strategy?
After 10 policies I saved for Freedom, but it was not very helpful.

In the end, learned a lot and want to win the Dutch game.

Top Bottom