two units with the same name!

taube87

duck and cover!
it'a not easy to find names for every units especially generic units, but there is a method to solve this problem. you must edit the font file like in this guide and remove one or more characters. i uploaded one example with a removed @. Now you can name your units like:

Kampfpanzer
Kampfpanzer@

Attachments

• Rätsel.jpg
    Rätsel.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 689
  • LSANS.ttf.ZIP
    180.9 KB · Views: 222
yes, but a unit with a long name (perhaps: langstreckenbomber) and a extra space can be to big for the "to build list" like in the screen:

Attachments

• look here.jpg
    look here.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 559
I added this to my library, well done!

so, let me get this straight. You label both units the same, but put some symbol after the one, and because the font is changed, the symbol is invisible. Is that how it works?

oh, thats actually pretty smart, i thought you ment something else...

yes, but a unit with a long name (perhaps: langstreckenbomber) and a extra space can be to big for the "to build list" like in the screen:
Hmmm, but I'm wondering, if you change the font to a smaller one then you could still just put a space at the end. But having a character would make it easier to identify the difference in text documents, so I guess that is the benefit. :)

Hmmm, but I'm wondering, if you change the font to a smaller one then you could still just put a space at the end. But having a character would make it easier to identify the difference in text documents, so I guess that is the benefit. :)

:goodjob: the @ is like a invisible character and this character don't need any space in written lines

edit: two screens to support my intention

sry, for my very bad english! :crazyeye:

Attachments

• editor.jpg
    editor.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 337
  • game.jpg
    game.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 368
I believe that you can also just put a space at the end of the name to get the same effect, no?

I have tried this. It works OK in the editor. But I cannot rename the unit folder in Windows with a space at the end - It won't accept it. I have two "flavor" units. Both want to be called LAMPS Helo (Light Airborne Multipurpose System). They each have different unit folders - one is S-60 Seahawk, the other the Lynx. The S-60 wil be a flavor unit for American and most non-European Civilisations. The Lynx for European Civs and some other Civs that I know use the Lynx in reality. They both have exactly the same stats.

For now I just call one LAMPS Helo. and the other LAMPS Helo (without the fullstop). I guess the font editor is the only way I could refine this?

so, let me get this straight. You label both units the same, but put some symbol after the one, and because the font is changed, the symbol is invisible. Is that how it works?

OK, before I mess around with my LSANS file I want to understand this more fully. Does installing the new LSANS file change the font for the entire game?
Or can you use it to edit specific bits of text within the game?

So, for example, would you make it so Kampfpanzer was in one font but the @ at the end was a different font. Is that how it works?

I'm sorry, I still don't understand how that lets me have two units with same name.

So then I could I have same Civilopedia entry for both units as well, yes?

I keep trying this and it doesn't work; the @ just shows up on the name like I didn't do anything. Where exactly do I put the LANS file if I'm playing a modded version of Conquests? Does this work on a US version of the game?

Since this thread has been bumped, let me make a comment and ask a question. It seems that in changing a font, I have done something which causes an extra little space between certain letters. It only happens every once in a while, but in a civilopedia entry, there will be a little gap in between the letters that do not show up in notepad, but do in the game. It is enough to actually break up the work LINK in a link and therefore, the game does not create the html link because of this.

Any thoughts, ideas or similar occurrences?

Top Bottom