• Yes, units must be upgradeable

Votes: 13 61.9%
  • No, It's not realistic and fun

Votes: 8 38.1%

• Total voters

MaxRiga

Emperor
Hi

i'm thinking about this problem all the time. personally i don't like upgrades since it's absolutely not realistic and SID's team made it just to make their way easier about making units obsolete ( lol, joke ). any way, while i'm keep working on updates for my mod i've decided to ask public - would u like to have "upgrade" function for most of the units in ur civ4 game ( or my mod ) or u r ok that AI builds old military by having the new ones only because units are not obsolute since it's not upgradeable and to keep ur game ( my mod ) with not upgradeable units to play!?

p.s. playing by Canada in my mod i have more modern army that my neighbor on south even if yankees have twice more modern technologies ! all this only cause AI builds cheaper stuff instead of strong one ( have no idea why ).

p.s.s if someone can help me to make units "obsoleteable" that will solve the problem ... but no one has yet!

You should have upgrades or the AI will have a whole lot of old junk. I don't see anymore redcoats around.

Happy with the way things are. The idea that you can spend a few hours with a hammer and a blow torch and turn a Sopworth Camel into a FA/18 is a little silly. Yes, I know you can argue otherwise, but I just think it's too easy. Besides, having obsolete hardware is all part of running a war-fighting nation. Infantry and the like, OK, upgrade.

Maybe we can have an upgrade system that works like that:

example:
cavalry -> gunship: impossible
rifleman -> modern infantry: impossible

modern armor -> modern armor with better gun: possible
ifv -> ifv with better armor: possible

I think this would be more realistic... think for example how many versions of Leopard tank have existed in years... or f18 or m1a1 etc...

Just my two cents :)

Actually to be realistic a unit should only last for 5-20 turns or so and then disband (all the equipment has worn out) you get around this decreasing the cost of units. (or get units produced in batches of 3 or 4)

That would be the truly realistic way of doing it.

So you have no need to worry about unrealistic upgrading, just start replacing the old units with the new ones.

Krikkitone said:
Actually to be realistic a unit should only last for 5-20 turns or so and then disband (all the equipment has worn out) you get around this decreasing the cost of units. (or get units produced in batches of 3 or 4)

That would be the truly realistic way of doing it.

So you have no need to worry about unrealistic upgrading, just start replacing the old units with the new ones.

but do you know how long it will take to make new units?!?!?!

I always devote a few cities to constantly building the "newest" units, so I can slowly phase out old units as they are replaced by more modern ones.

Kushan

Kushan said:
I always devote a few cities to constantly building the "newest" units, so I can slowly phase out old units as they are replaced by more modern ones.

Kushan

Japan ain't got many cities or brazil, argentina????

Definitely keep ALL units upgreadable. Disbanding units and replacing them with modern ones is no fun even if it is compensated with extra hammers. Replacing a 100 unit army would turn into a micromanagement hell then. Clicking one button is much easier and less time-consuming.

But not the way it is now - the amount of hammers (which represent production capacity) should be involved somehow so that it takes more than one turn to upgrade ie. rifleman to infantry.

Jouda said:
Definitely keep ALL units upgreadable. Disbanding units and replacing them with modern ones is no fun even if it is compensated with extra hammers. Replacing a 100 unit army would turn into a micromanagement hell then. Clicking one button is much easier and less time-consuming.

But not the way it is now - the amount of hammers (which represent production capacity) should be involved somehow so that it takes more than one turn to upgrade ie. rifleman to infantry.

Finally somebody agrees!!!:D :D

In civ3 it was possible to see all units from the ministry of defense class by class... and to upgrade them from there too. In this way the upgrade become less time-consuming. Also monitor the army tech-level become far more easy.

Top Bottom