usernames

Originally posted by Txurce
Txurce is pronounced "Choor-seh." The Basques are the oldest European people, and their language indeed has no links to any other. A BASQUE HISTORY OF THE WORLD is great, especially if you're Basque. You learn things like the guys who killed Roland in "The Song of Roland" weren't the Moors, but the Basques, who were pissed at Charlemagne. Kurlansky wrote it after writing a really entertaining one called COD: THE FISH THAT CHANGED HISTORY (or something like that). He believes the Basques discovered the New World, but kept it secret, because it was their fishing spot!

I have his COD book on my iPod, downloaded it from Audible. I have to admit, I'm a sucker for books like these, which look at the larger history of things by focusing on the seemingly small history of something ordinary like cod or salt or the color blue.

Besides, you pick up lots of interesting little tidbits.

-dem

Dojoboy, my grandparents emigrated from there, so they're my people only to a degree, in a more general cultural way (as opposed to Cuba, where I was born). But my sense is that they have all the autonomy you could ask for, short of actual independence: their own language taught in school, their own police force, and so on. I think the majority is reasonably satisfied with the current state of affairs. It would take a lot of violence for Spain to cut them loose, and since the terrorism there is backed by only a small minority, I doubt anything will happen. My guess for the next phase in Basque hegemony is that it will come as a result of the federalization of Europe, some where down the road. More likely is that increased intermarriage with Spaniards will dilute the Basque bloodline and sense of separation.

Mike is my first name, .doc is at the same time a teasing about my profession an about the PCwindows users (.doc files is the most common PC files)
Mike.doc
Belgium location

@ dojoboy :goodjob:

i thought you are a sportive wrestler.
allthough i have to say the opposite has some charme also: i imagined a 2 meter 120kg guy disguised in a stupid mask and clothes trying to impress the ai by shouting obscenities.. :D

@ pigumon

i don't think ultraman is known in europe. but just before i've been on an different site discusssing which tv shows we watched as kids, this was great!

@ txurce

hey, cool, a basque guy!

if i knew this is a real name i think i would have guessed it's basque, those people use so many "x", even for jorge/jose usw :D

i've been around san sebastian two years ago (basque territory) for hollydays. beautifull lanscapes, cool jazzfestival, great food and the prettiest girls of whole europe (ok, together with the scandinavians) :love:

btw, i think the language of the finns (scandinavia) is also not indogerman, those two tribes (?) are probably the remnants of the ancient european tribes.
gaelic (uk) might also be one of those, but died out.

sidenote: i just discovered now that the indogerman invaders must have been pretty ugly :lol:

@ beamup

many europeans love the scottish accent!
i have to say i love it too, but when i've been there i sometimes had problems to understand the hardcore highland scotts...
but they certainely are the friendliest people i've ever encountered.
at least as long as you don't call them english ;)

Shogoth, I think you're right about Finnish also not being an Indo-European language. I look forward to visiting San Sebastian next year myself.

ah, i love this forum, people from everywhere!

i have been to a marriage in belgium half a year ago.
luckily i've been in the ardenes, the rest is just far to flat for me, being a swiss ;)
but your beers (and beer culture!) are great :goodjob:
the chocolates id didn't try, unluckily..

I also think that's right about Finnish. There was the Nat'l Geographic special about LOTR that talked about how the language from a northern section of Finland was Tolkien's basis for Elvish.

Apparently in this remote towns there's a tradition of "runesingers" who sing the myth cycle of that region. Completely oral tradition, which was finally written down in the 19th century, I think, but there's only one man left who knows the entire song cycle -- and he's very old. Made me kind of sad that this 10,000 year old tradition will die with him.

dem

Wow. Fun to read through and pick up the international flavor of Civ3 fans.
EJDay: vanilla name. First and middle initial, plus last name. Born in Chicago, went to school in New Mexico, working in Burbank. Flew across the pond a few times on vacation, will take the wife for a few more... but haven't spent much time there. "Day" Irish? Nope. Truncation of Dznglefsky. Roots: northern European-Russian mutt, with heavy Scandinavian leanings.

Okay. Cool. Where else can I get in trouble around here?
EJ

What a neat thread ! :)

Well here's my contribution...'Frunobulax' is from Frank Zappa's song 'Cheepnis' (1974, Roxy & Elsewhere album), which is about the special qualities of cheap sci-fi B-movies, like "It Conquered The World!"

Here's part of the song lyrics for your entertainment...

"Ladies and gentlemen,
The monster,
Which the peasants in this area call FRUNOBULAX
(Apparently a very large poodle dog)
Has just been seen approaching The Power Plant
Bullets can't stop it
Rockets can't stop it
We may have to use NUCLEAR FORCE!

HERE COMES THAT POODLE DOG!
BIG AS A BLIMP WITH A RHINESTONE COLLAR
SNAPPIN' OFF THE TREES
LIKE THEY WAS BONSAI'D ORNAMENTS ON A
DRY-WOBBLE LANDSCAPE
KEEP IT AWAY! DON'T LET THE POODLE BITE ME!
WE CAN'T LET IT REPRODUCE! OH!
SOMEBODY GET OUT THE PANTS!

The National Guard has formed up at the base
of the mountain
And is attempting to lure the enormous poodle
towards the cave
Where they hope to destroy it with napalm
A thousand of the troopers are now lined up
and are calling to the monster...
Here Fido
Here Fido
Here Fido"

Sounds like classic Zappa, Frunobulax. Top it off with a Latin epigraph, and you reveal yourself to be an individual so wide-ranging as to be in danger of a severe groin pull.

Originally posted by Txurce
Sounds like classic Zappa, Frunobulax. Top it off with a Latin epigraph, and you reveal yourself to be an individual so wide-ranging as to be in danger of a severe groin pull.

;)

Fruno

btw: it's a fake latin quote - it means
'Read The F***in Manual"

Well, while I'm only a recent transplant to Florida, I used to live in Holland..... ok, ok.... so it was well over 24 jaaren geleden.... Holy cow! I just realized, that's how long I've been an Apple user as well..... I feel old now.

well mine is not nearly as exciting as some of the others. tool is one of my favorite bands and I have used their naming schemes of songs and albums for all my computer stuff for years now. for anyone who know tool this stuff will make SOME sense.
hard drives:
on dual gig tower (as if anyone cares, I'll include my reasonings as well)
parabol = OSX ( originally I had 2 partitions on one huge 80 gig drive, they were called parabol and parabola after an intro and full song off tool's latest album. final cut pro couldn't deal with 2 drives with similar names so I renamed the large drive: )
lateralis = after the name of the album and very long title track off the newest album (actually, the first pressing had the album named lateralis and the song called lateralus... :hmm: or was it the other way...)
leeches = big huge partition for downloads (named for the obvious reference to leeching files off the internet and the song, ticks and leeches)
push-it = OS9 (a song off an old album, hence the older OS)

on TiBook: (album naming convention as opposed to song titles here)
salival = OSX (tool boxed set with a DVD and CD as well as a book of wierd art)
opiate = OS9 (their first album, actully an EP. the oldest, again hence older OS)
undertow = everything else (the album that broke them big with sober and prison sex and the strange videos on eMpTyV)

anyhow, so my name (here as well as apolyton and macaddict) came from being the coolest sounding (in my opinion) and so that makes me...

lateralis:smoke:

Following on from Lateralis, we have about 20-30 hard drives at work (for digital audio) and I went through a phase of naming them.... my favourite was a 4.2Gb Seagate drive named "Ryan 4.2 Giggs", after the Manchester United footballer (...Ryan Giggs).

I should probably get out more...

fruno, I've a friend (a Brit) who once played for West Ham, years ago. He never made it to their "A" team, but he played at the lower levels (minors we call it here in the States).

Also, I've yet another friend (a Yankee) who works at the London Zoo/Aquarium. I keep meaning to take the Missus over the big pond to visit and tour a bit.

Hi guys!

Spaps was a very cool icehockey helmet back in the 60's.
See the image below, where Roland "Rolle" Stoltz is wearing one.

The spaps-helmet still has a lot of worshippers in Sweden.

As an example you can look at these guys
http://www.zerozero.se/Walter/frames/spaps.html

@ Txurce:
On what do you base your statement that the basques are the oldest europeans?

(The basques should be in Civ3 in that case :p )

Attachments

• spaps.jpg
    spaps.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 109
Top Bottom