v43 Quote Poll: TECH_BARREL_RIFLING

What should be the tech quote for Barrel Rifling?

• Quote #1

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Quote #2

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Quote #3

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Quote #4

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Quote #5

• Quote #6

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Quote #7

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spacer_J

Warlord
On to Barrel Rifling! Plenty of choices.

TECH_BARREL_RIFLING
Quote #1:
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at 500 yards, Tannen! And it's pointed straight at your head!
-Dr. Emmett Brown, Back to the Future: Part III

Quote #2:
One must never place a loaded rifle on the stage if it isn't going to go off. It's wrong to make promises you don't mean to keep.
-Anton Chekhov

Quote #3:
Bolt actions speak louder than words.
-Craig Roberts

Quote #4:
A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
-Theodore Roosevelt

Quote #5:
I wish it to be remembered that I was the last man of my tribe to surrender my rifle.
-Sitting Bull

Quote #6;
When I lost my rifle, the Army charged me 85 dollars. That is why in the Navy the Captain goes down with the ship.
-Dick Gregory

Quote #7:
People often ask me how I feel about my invention being used to kill people every day and the AK being a common weapon of ethnic conflicts. I want to make it clear that I created my assault rifle to protect my country. You can blame politicians for its spreading out of control on a global scale.
-Mikhail Kalashnikov

Last edited:
Chekhov didn't specify it as a rifle and besides that there is no connection to the theme whatsoever.

I concur, and I think the first quote seems out of place... or should I say out of time? 😉

Are we taking more suggestions? What about "Bolt actions speak louder than words" - Craig Roberts, or "Political power comes from the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong

New quote added, and time extended. The Mao one's already in the game with Rifling. If they're meant to be two separate techs...I'm not the person to ask about the why of the techs. I just run the tech quote selections :)

Per a Google search on the Chekhov quote, multiple sources say a rifle. Other variations on it also discuss a rifle, while some discuss a pistol. This quote in particular looks to be from a letter from Chekhov to Aleksandr Semenovich Lazarev (pseudonym of A. S. Gruzinsky), 1 November 1889.

I'm open to receiving new tech quote suggestions for a poll most of the time. Exceptions being if it's a tiebreaker poll between two winners, or if the polling for a tech has already concluded. Though, if you're submitting a quote on the last day of the poll and there's already a clear favorite emerging, you're probably too late.

Per a Google search on the Chekhov quote, multiple sources say a rifle. Other variations on it also discuss a rifle, while some discuss a pistol. This quote in particular looks to be from a letter from Chekhov to Aleksandr Semenovich Lazarev (pseudonym of A. S. Gruzinsky), 1 November 1889.
Poor Chekhov. In the Russian original, we are talking about a "ружье/ruzhуо". The default is a long-barreled smoothbore weapon. In the Chekhov era, almost exclusively hunting/civil.

Poor Chekhov. In the Russian original, we are talking about a "ружье/ruzhуо". The default is a long-barreled smoothbore weapon. In the Chekhov era, almost exclusively hunting/civil.
It is worth noting that a smoothbore gun is, by definition, not a rifle.

"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." -Theodore Roosevelt

"I wish it to be remembered that I was the last man of my tribe to surrender my rifle." -Sitting Bull

"When I lost my rifle, the Army charged me 85 dollars. That is why in the Navy the Captain goes down with the ship." -Dick Gregory

"People often ask me how I feel about my invention being used to kill people every day and the AK being a common weapon of ethnic conflicts. I want to make it clear that I created my assault rifle to protect my country. You can blame politicians for its spreading out of control on a global scale." -Mikhail Kalashnikov

Admittedly kinda late, but (other than the newly added quote #3 which I just noticed) I'm not a huge fan of either of the existing options.

Also, I have the same question as Spacer_J - why is Barrel Rifling a separate tech from Rifling? Is the former the first introduction of rifled guns, the small-scale artisanal rifled muskets that 18th-century skirmishers used, and the latter the 19th-century serial production?

"When I lost my rifle, the Army charged me 85 dollars. That is why in the Navy the Captain goes down with the ship." -Dick Gregory
The best
"People often ask me how I feel about my invention being used to kill people every day and the AK being a common weapon of ethnic conflicts. I want to make it clear that I created my assault rifle to protect my country. You can blame politicians for its spreading out of control on a global scale." -Mikhail Kalashnikov
Strictly speaking, Kalashnikov, as is already usual for Russian quotes, did not mention the rifle. AК in Russian terminology is an "automat", technically - an automatic carbine. At the same time, assault rifles in Russian are called - unexpectedly - assault or automatic rifles.

I know it's kind of presumptuous, but given how late I was and how many votes had already been cast..... new poll maybe?

I've extended this one another couple of days, like with the first new contribution.

Good news for later contributions is that votes are changeable if someone should suggest a new quote/quotes that are more to people's liking than the initial ones that start the poll. They don't have to be permanent until the poll closes. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom