Violent Storms

UncivilizedGuy

The Village Idiot
New unit: Violent Storms. This fantastic unit was created by @ghost toast upon my request.

There is a mod in Civ 4 that causes storms to form over oceans. I wanted to make this a reality in Civ 5. I thought it would be cool to have some form of natural disaster that we can actually visualize like in Civ 6.

Violent Storms are actually barbarian units. Using the lua code from @LeeS 's Wildlife Reborn mod Violent Storms spawn on coastal tiles. They operate like helicopters and can attack on sea and land. They are as strong as GDR's. But they suicide or disappear after combat. They also have the invisible submarine promotion to make them more dangerous.

ghost toast used the eagle model found here on the forums and added a cloud effect. Also using his effects mod he was able to add lightning that actually zaps other units.

20221031162134_1.jpg
20221031163249_1.jpg
20221031164150_2.jpg

More Effects Mod by ghost toast is required for the unit to appear properly on the map. Follow his install instructions carefully otherwise the unit model will be invisible.
Wildlife Reborn is not required and is not compatible.

Download here >>> Violent Storms

Last edited:
I’m in the process of thinking how I can improve this. The reason I made them so powerful was because I didn’t want late game units destroying them. I realize now that because they suicide their strength is not that critical. I definitely want them to be too much for early game units. I might cut their strength in half and give the storms a bonus against naval units. Suggestions are welcome 🤗

Currently working on a new version. I decided to use the storm categorization system as the framework. When the game begins there will be Cat1 Storms. As the game progresses the storms will incrementally get stronger ending with cat5. As it stands the storms are so powerful that it makes the early game unplayable. Spain just surrounded my city with at least 6 units in the Classical era and lost most of their units due to inclement weather 😝. I couldn’t even send reinforcements because storms would wipe out every unit I sent.

Unfortunately storms capture civilians. This is a bit immersion breaking. I can’t find a work around and I’m open for suggestions.

Interesting concept and The sound effects are amazing! I don't have GhostToast's library on my computer, so the unit was invisible, and none of the attack animations were visible either.

I'd love to use the unit in a mod of mine. Unfortunately I really don't want to ask my users to download, unzip, and copy new/replacement animation files over to their hard drive. It's probably too much to ask most users to do.

Any chance you could rework the unit with "standard" Civ5 animations, replacing the lightning bolt with say, the GDR's railgun attack animations?

Cheers!

Interesting concept and The sound effects are amazing! I don't have GhostToast's library on my computer, so the unit was invisible, and none of the attack animations were visible either.

I'd love to use the unit in a mod of mine. Unfortunately I really don't want to ask my users to download, unzip, and copy new/replacement animation files over to their hard drive. It's probably too much to ask most users to do.

Any chance you could rework the unit with "standard" Civ5 animations, replacing the lightning bolt with say, the GDR's railgun attack animations?

Cheers!
If I knew how to do that I wouldn't have asked for GhostToast's help. I feel the same way you do and that's why I probably won't use it in my project.

Prior to this I attempted to create a natural disaster mod that I never posted. The disasters are represented by fantasy units. It's pretty hilarious actually. Giant dwarves appear out of nowhere and hammer cities. Dragons represent storms and forest fires. Zombies represent plagues. It's kind of ridiculous and that's why I never shared it.

That's a really cool idea! What if they worked as missile units? Like the cruiser missile (but a bit weker)?

The natural disasters mod sounds hysterical. I can do the animations, but know nothing about creating the models with blender at al.

If I could see the unit on the map I could do the rest.

The natural disasters mod sounds hysterical. I can do the animations, but know nothing about creating the models with blender at al.

If I could see the unit on the map I could do the rest.
The storm cloud is an effect. That's why you need GT's component. Basically it's an invisible unit with a cloud effect above it.
That's a really cool idea! What if they worked as missile units? Like the cruiser missile (but a bit weker)?
That's a possibility. The helicopter seemed the most natural to me. This way it can move over land.

The storm cloud is an effect.
Yeah, I read about that following some of your other discussions with GT. I suspect that "ART_DEF_VEFFECT_CLOUD_1" is from his custom library? I was certain that "ART_DEF_VEFFECT_CLOUD_LIGHTNING_1" was.

I was going to experiment with a extremely scaled down unit (like the circling birds over fish) and attach the helicopter gunships "hovering" effect, to simulate a "storms at sea" event graphically.

Throwing a few of the GDR's railgun shots from the "storm" to the defending ship/embarked unit just to simulate the "lightning" impact.

But I wasn't sure if the unit was scaled down to 1/100th of its normal size, would the effect of the prop wash be scaled down too? Something I'd need to check.

Also, Mt. Fuji has a circling cloud, so there must be something available from standard Civ5. Will look to see if I can incorporate that to the storm unit and get something "close enough." Have also seen "fog of war" use something that looks like lightning in undiscovered tiles.

There's stuff in the game already. Just need to figure out how to recycle it. Oh, and the time thingee.... :lol:

Thanks!

Yeah, I read about that following some of your other discussions with GT. I suspect that "ART_DEF_VEFFECT_CLOUD_1" is from his custom library? I was certain that "ART_DEF_VEFFECT_CLOUD_LIGHTNING_1" was.

I was going to experiment with a extremely scaled down unit (like the circling birds over fish) and attach the helicopter gunships "hovering" effect, to simulate a "storms at sea" event graphically.

Throwing a few of the GDR's railgun shots from the "storm" to the defending ship/embarked unit just to simulate the "lightning" impact.

But I wasn't sure if the unit was scaled down to 1/100th of its normal size, would the effect of the prop wash be scaled down too? Something I'd need to check.

Also, Mt. Fuji has a circling cloud, so there must be something available from standard Civ5. Will look to see if I can incorporate that to the storm unit and get something "close enough." Have also seen "fog of war" use something that looks like lightning in undiscovered tiles.

There's stuff in the game already. Just need to figure out how to recycle it. Oh, and the time thingee.... :lol:

Thanks!
yes the effects are from my more effects mod.

the mod itself does nothing just adds the frame work and models for new custom effects.
units from another source like this cloud are able to use them.

my more effects mod add tons of new things. all kinds of custom effect and resized effect for units.

the cloud effect is the standard Fuji cloud re-scaled specifically for the unit.
the lightning bolt is all new and also scaled specifically for that unit.

my more effects mod can be found here.

sadly the dlc is the only so far ive figure out how to get new effects into civ 5
i know its a bummer having to set the mod in the dlc folder but im hoping it will catch on.
just think of the possibilities. sci-fi effects, magic effects, and more, anything you can imagine and make all now possible to add and use.
you want a candy cane shooting gun i can make it happen.

the mod will sit dormant until reference by a modded unit's effect trigger file.
it wont conflict with multiplayer either. since civ 5 wont reference anything new that i added unless told to it doesn't unsync the game ive tested it.

ill be adding way more effects to it for people to use.
mainly sci-fi effects for project aftermath at the moment. so like energy, and laser beams, radiation glows and stuff like that, but anything can be added.

Last edited:
Top Bottom