Western European balance

Swarbs

Emperor
Having played the four main western European civs (England, France, Burgundy and Germany) quite a lot, I think that area of the map needs a bit of balance, particularly to give Burgundy a bit of a leg up and increase the late game challenge for human France. At the moment:

If human France gets its 1st UHV, after Burgundy and Germany spawn it will end up with around ten cities (Paris, Tours, Bordeuax, Toulouse, Barcelona, Milan, Florence, Langres, Aix-La-Chapelle and Osnabruck in my game and potentially also Calais / Dunkerque). Burgundy will spawn with three cities, assuming Marseille doesn't get barb razed, and Germany will spawn with three (two settlers plus Ausburg). This, imo, makes human France very OP and easily able to crush Burgundy and get the next two UHVs without serious competition.

Also, human Germany has to found a city in Bavaria, which will be in a poor location and crushed between Ausburg, Prague and Austria's flip zone. Finally, human France has little incentive to settle Normandy, so AI England will start off very weak, and AI France will often settle Normandy in a poor location like Liseux or Cherbourg, thus making England very difficult to play.

My proposed solutions to this would be:

1. Extend Bavaria to include Ausburg and add independent Strasbourg west of the Rhine, 1SW of the honey, in Swabia. Defended by one archer.
2. Extend Burgundy's flip zone to include Strasbourg and also Champagne, with the exception of Paris's BFC.
3. Extend Germany's flip zone to include all of Saxony and Lorraine, to make sure AI Germany flips the human French cities in these regions.
4. Add Caen as an independent city spawning in Normandy in 965AD to represent the Duchy of Normandy (where William the Conqueror originated from). Remove Normandy from the AI French settler map.
5. Add Nantes as an independent city in Bretagne to reflect its historical importance as part of the March de Bretagne.
6. Give Marseille an extra defender to try and stop it being razed by the barbs so often.
7. Add Milan and Florence to the AI Burgundian flip zone if they are controlled by human France. I think this should be possible, as DoC has different flip zones for human and AI players.

The aim of this is to better reflect the outcome of the Treaty of Verdun and balance the region:

Whilst it's not an exact representation (with Dijon being Burgundian and Lorraine being German), it will provide more balance than we have right now.

In terms of the playability of the four civs:

For the 1st UHV, France should need to conquer Bavaria (Ausburg) as well Swabia (Strasbourg). This will better reflect Charlemagne's empire, and Strasbourg should be an easy first target to capture, so the extra city won't make the UHV too challenging.

After the 1st UHV, instead of human France being completely dominant, it will be left with Paris, Tours, Bordeaux, Toulouse, Barcelona and potentially Calais / Dunkerque and Nantes. This change should in fact help encourage the French player to build in Picardy, as they will need the extra city once their empire is split. Burgundy will have Dijon, Strasbourg, Lyon, Marseille, Milan, Florence, and Langres, so won't be such a pushover for France any more. Germany will also have more power with Aix, Osnabruck, Frankfurt, Ausburg and another city from the spare settler, so they will be another major opponent for France in the future.

Human Burgundy will flip an extra city in Strasbourg, which will put them on a comparable footing with the French and Germans. It will also create more border tension with the Germans, potentially creating more conflict. As a result of Burgundy's superior starting situation, the third UHV might need to be changed to be more challenging that just having a higher score than the other three. AI France doesn't usually manage to settle Champagne, so this won't give Burgundy another extra city.

Human Germany will start roughly the same, as AI France won't usually found cities in Saxony or Lorraine. However, Germany will have a bit more of an interesting challenge, as rather than having to found a relatively useless city in Bavaria right before the deadline, they will have to go to war with Burgundy to capture Strasbourg.

Human England will get a better city in Europe, and probably have to fight a stronger France, as AI France will usually capture Nantes relatively early, thus being stronger when England spawns. A stronger Burgundy will also be a stronger rival for England to fight once France has been dealt with.

Interesting. My only concern would be that Burgundy might get a bit too powerful, though I suppose they are somewhat too weak right now.

Yeah, that is what I thought too about Burgundy. They have no business owning those Italian cities, and it would make them too strong. Yes, Burgundy will get crushed a lot, but then again, so it was IRL.

Other then that, just implement :)

Yeah, that is what I thought too about Burgundy. They have no business owning those Italian cities, and it would make them too strong. Yes, Burgundy will get crushed a lot, but then again, so it was IRL.

Other then that, just implement :)

The only situation in which Burgundy would own the Italian cities would be if France was controlled by a human, in which case I think Burgundy needs all the help it can get!

Tho' I supposed Burgundy and Lombardy were only united for around 12 years in RL, so if that would unbalance Burgundy or make it too difficult for human France then we could just ignore that bit and do the rest.

if the human French player has achieved Charlemagne's empire then Burgundy (assuming it at least partially represents Lothar's inheiritance) should get Lombardy and could even be given the Low Countries as well. I think this might actually weaken them in the long run since they would be attacked by France and Germany along a longer front, as well as possibly Venice.

Burgundy should get a boost but firstly it needs to be able to survive up to the 1400s, which is when its real significance started to come into effect. During the late 1400s Burgundy was almost a superpower of the medieval world, one of the richest and most culturally vibrant states in Europe, not to mention a strong power. It was only when Charles overextending himself and attacked the Swiss that Burgundy his rule ended, and even then the duchy still existed until the marriage of Mary of Burgundy.

My opinions:

Have France focus on consolidating their power instead of hurling it all at Burgundy
Give Burgundy higher culture bonuses
Have some sort of Hundred Years War stuff going on to weaken France during the 1300-1400s

The most important thing to me is that even in AI games Burgundy is a sniveling weakling so they do need to be buffed regardless.

in ur new version burgundy will be OP. even now they get vassalivezed 8 times out of ten, and 2 times became france 2. the probelm is if France OP the region germany is usually waek and/or vassalized too. and vixa versa. another problem is english starts too late to be able to make a 100 years war, you cannot really force them to dow france for such a long time, they have now power for that. on the other hands AI france (and others too) is not so determined to have a war only with ships....plus france dosnt have a strong city site to build a lots of ship....

imo: garmany should be stand against france with a hidden negative diplo modifier in ~1100ad

Top Bottom