What could be nice to have in CIV:BE

Arklan

Chieftain
Came up with some ideas a while ago and brought it here to see what you make of it.
Chose to make a thread because is huge. So to what matters.

Have been thinking about this for while since played the game and by the community discussion, and thought some things could had been more exploited in the game.
So i'll try to describe what i noticed most.

Affinity System

I liked the idea behind going to a exotic planet and have to addapt to the environment choosing one affinity, but how you get affinities appear to be just
a science rush that dont have any drawback, and i always noticed the affinity like an ideology, something that is influenced by the population and would they
support to get to higher levels.

How it could work: basicaly science will count, but you won't gain affinity level by a branch research, but by a choosing a specialization of a common building, with the
choice giving a different bonus for each affinity, besides the xp affinity for the research. Unfortunately for this be effective i think some rework in the tech web
will be required, because don't matter how i see it, it appears just like the old Civ tech tree but not following the history flow (linear). A suggestion is to have
some common techs (to begin settling a new land and environment you need to know it) and you could bypass some techs to get others more advanced (really don't know
how it could be, but to able to cross the space you sure have some basic knowledge, but when bypassing a tech will give some drawback, like costing more science).

Other thing is to make a victory rush more hard is to consider affinity like an ideology, that is affected by other affinities (cities around, trade routes, etc).
The idea is to bring back the old Religion system with adding another function to the Spyonage (rather than a city coup a temporary increase in a determined affinity).
How this could work: at first thought this could be made by using the maximum level an affinity can reach and splinting between the pop. of a city, considering other
affinities influences, and counting up to a global affinity level. Some affinity-related buildings will set a minimum level to the affinity of a city (until half the affinity max. level) and to build a wonder required to have victory, the chosen city can't let the local affinity level go under the min. required to start the wonder constrution. The need to when reaching a level when the affinity is predominant and have to announce it (like the ideologies on Civ V) could cause some negative effects in cities that haven't the said affinity has dominant, but i think it need some discussion.

That's an idea that is interesting (for me at least), the Civilization have a Public Opinion.
Mankind going anywhere we always will have different opinions and behaviors (affinity is one of them) and the reaction of your people to your diplomatic choices would be
nice to take part in the game.
How it work: you'll pick up a stance that is the most appealing to you and it will increase/decrease depending of your choices and how you interact with a Civ, you people can support you or can be very assertive about what they want. Would work like happiness and more unhappy more pressure they'll make for you change the current choice you've made.
So far thought in four differents general opinions: Peace Loving, Peace Maker, Warmonger, Isolacionist.
Peace Loving is what the name says, war is out of the table and when you set trade routes, trades and pacts, your people will be moved towards it.
Peace Maker is the guy that is nice to everyone, except when you have a warfaring neighbour. Here, along with the Peace Loving behavior, would go to war to free a captured city and/or keep a warmonger in check, without taking cities for yourself.
Warmonger is the already known Conquest victory type guy, war is the only way to achieve what you want and the other Civs need are seeing as servents (but they dont know yet), demanding resources and anything considered aggresive make it increase, but take care with some repercussion, meanly with spies involved. Would love a Harass button, working similarly to when the AI Civs were hostile to you and showed up between loading to mock of you (of your military, economy or nothing at all when you were far superior to them).
Isolacionist is the standard in the beggining and with some effort you can keep this through the whole game, just ignore the Civs completely, can go to war to keep an expansive Civ out of the way, but avoid taking cities (razing them).

I've described the ones i could thought and here are some benefits and drawbacks:
Can hasten or make slow a wonder constrution depending of the victory type chose (yeah, i have some thoughts about the victorys too, wait to see it);
In a war can make your soldiers more motivated or less motivated, make them refuse to fight or even become hostile (for example: when in Peace Maker start to take cities like a Warmonger);

The spies could be much more useful(and feared) because they can cause a city affinity influence to vary and can force it to a chose one for several turns. Other thing
that can be interesting is, the chance of success depend of the amount of supporters in a city (affinity influence level). So if a city have Purity as dominant affinity
and it has a good Supremacy influence, this amount would be added when doing operations that benefits the Supremacy influence (like increase the influence or the affinity
coup). And meddle with the public opinion for some time. In both, if failed the operation this can have the opposite effect so beware!

Victory by Wonders
It's fine that who chooses Harmony can awaken a planet (and perhaps control it), but if a Purity can keep it a inanimated rock. Well i think all victories can be achieved
by all affinities but with differents ways and backgrounds.
The planet thing - you can say the planet is alive or because of the strange xenomass(or vice versa?) you can:
As Harmony, discover that the Siege Worm do what a worm do, dig large tunnels and the xenomass spread through it and you start to research. You'll discover that all nests
are connect to it and you realise that the whole planet act as a living being, why not give it a conscience? Build the Mind Stem and rule it. A bonus in the more.One.TUrn
could be nest spawning increase and all the alien become nice things to you and a terror to anyone you declare war;
As Supremacy, same thing of the tunnels, but rather than a living thing you come up with the idea of linking the whole planet to you, so you start to replace the xenomass
with firaxite and then build the Main Controller (or something like that). An aftermath bonus is eliminate the miasma and you units gets attack and healing bonus, no fog, etc;
As Purity, same thing of the tunnels, but after some research you discover some tectonic plates, and you can use it to literally bury your enemies. Constrution of the
Hefestus Hammer after cleaning the tunnels. An aftermath bonus, you can make earthquakes wherever you want with a cooldown of course.

For Emancipation, i think it should be available to all affinities, because an affinity don't determines a behavior, and if you want to go back and show how things must
be done to try to save Earth, i can't think in a reason to not do it.

For Promised Land, the same thing but the Colonists would see your affinity as the correct way and after each settlement full, it will convert in a city with the design
of your affinity.

Have nothing to say about contact, because it's a strange one to me, perhaps shouldn't be a victory type just because i don't see how it can be a show of power or capacity.

Conquest is fine as much as i know it, the only thing that change is the Public Opinion nedd to be favourable to it.

And i have a new one. Having something like an UN in a new land is weird to me, because it's the first contact and the wish to rebuild can leave some concepts behind. So
thinking on that, instead of an union between Civs (doable but not likely) why not a unon between affinities? The idea here is have a Civ with a uniform affinities influence
world wide, build a related building in a city, or cities, and a national project to cement this union.

There are things that need to be polished and some needing more thinking about, but this is the general ideas i got playing the game and seeing some of the community discussion.
So finally comes what i want to know, What do you think of it?

Top Bottom