What should be done with money gained from trades?

eyrei

Deity
Retired Moderator
I think it should all go back into the treasury for reallocation... So discuss.

I believe you're right. All monies, after what's left from repaying F/A's loans for making diplomatic deals should go right into the Nation's treasury. Although this does not count for F/A borrowing gold to rush temples or libraries. That's a totally different story as this will not generate income through the F/A. Its a Culture Dept. concern. F/A should never be hindered in the borrowing of gold for making these diplomatic deals, but these deals are for the well being of the nation, not the F/A Dept. Is that basically what you're asking?

I think all income should be pooled and then reallocated. Depending on the swing of the game some departments will be severe money makers, others will be money spenders and others will never make anything. Put all the income into the pot and then spread the wealth as appropriate.

I think everything earned should go into the pot for reallocation. For one thing it makes the book keepping easier. For another, it gives a pool for borrowing against. If all gold as allocated and every department wants to borrow 5 % we might run into trouble if everyone wants to borrow at once!

One idea is that 40% goes to the department who got the cash, and then 10% to the other departrments and 10%to the NT.
Like say the Trade Dept made 100 gold in a deal it would be spread out like this:

Trade: 40%
Foriegn: 10%
Military: 10%
Culture: 10%
Science: 10%
Domestic: 10%
National Treasury: 10%

But the only thing is we need to use a calculator in the event a number doesn't split easily. But this is an idea and doesn't have to be used. Or the rellocation method. All the money goes to the pool and then is payed out, but the dept it most concerns gets a little more.
For example, if we get 346 gold selling a resource, most should go to Trade and Foriegn then Domestic, then Military, then Culture and Science the get the same amounts and the National Treasury Gets what's left over.
Example:
Income, 346 gold in selling a resource
Trade:100
Foriegn: 75
Domestic:50
Military: 41
Culture: 30
Science: 30
National: 20
Total=346g

All we need is someone with a calculator.

It should be something like that, what does the science department spend stuff on? whoever gains money should be given certain freedom, such as giving them a bracket of what they could allocate to each department. They could also only keep a certain percentage or something. me babbling.

One huge problem leaps to mind. The Military Department never makes money but they have some of the greatest expenditures. We'd end up with an outdated, tiny defense force. :(

The military department makes money, when you take over or raze a city you get a bit of your opponents treasury, but surely not enough, culture only makes it by increasing science and happiness, minimal effects but existant ones. Don't have a clue what science spends it's money on, foreign and trade make quite a bit, domestic might make a bit by rushing marketplaces and banks.

I believe the money should all go to the NT and then be allocated normally, else most money will end up in the hands of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Science. Military makes little money by conquering cities, and even that's only when we are at war. I guess Domestic would get a lot, with all the cities and such. I don't know if Culture would ever bring in anything. I don't think culture flips gain any revenue.

I believe we're all pretty much saying the same thing here. All gold should go into the National Treasury and be allocated to the different Departments appropriately.

Now we need to come up with an appropriate budget system for the Treasury to follow. It may take a couple more hit and miss tries before we find a stable plan. I will volunteer some time to help Donsig and Eyrei with this if they want it.

How about a minor automatic allocation such as 5-10% of the net from the last turn chat automatically is allocated. After that, if more is needed the Leader submits a budget request.

And these Budget Requests (loans) would keep with current policy of having each Dept. stay within a certain percentage of there cash on hand? Would each Dept. then be required to pay back the loan in full before they could borrow more gold? It sounds like a very conservative pace, which may be the way to go right now.

They wouldn't be loans, but budget appropriations. Similar to what I did to get the appropriation for rushing a temple in Macao. A request is made to the Treasurer (Domestic Advisor). He either rejects the request, grants the request or tells you to get popular support for it. My initial request was rejected. I then reproposed with more information and repolled to get the appropriation.

Borrowing would be when you did not get the appropriation approved and would have to be paid back from the Departmental budget. You could only borrow up to a certain percentage (like we do now) and only in the turn chat.

This mix allows each department an autonomous budget and the ability to get more funds if they can show that it is a worthy venture. Borrowing is the safety net for things that come up in the turn chat. It also favors people who plan ahead as an appropriation is not paid back but borrowing is.

Top Bottom