When censorship goes absurd

Josu

Emperor
Yesterday I watched for umpteenth time Mogambo (1953), I like very much this kind of classic movies.
During the film I remembered that it did not pass the Spanish censorship during the Franco period.
In the film, Linda, the character portrayed by Grace Kelly falls in love with Vic Marswell, by Clark Gable, but Linda is married.
The very catholic Spaniard authorities decided that this was adultery, in consequence this should not be shown to the audience.
As most films in Spain are dubbed, they decided to cut one scene and change some dialogs so that Linda and Vic Marswell become siblings.
So, to avoid showing an adultery, they presented a case of incest. Which, to all appearances, is by far much better.

Do you know any other case in which censorship commits such a blunder?

not when it extends to the very medium the question is posed , kinda sorta . Like still it is great to have smart , very smart bloggers to explain a certain Rey is such a great Force user , because she is the undivided offspring of Sheev Palpatine because both of her parents are clones of Darth Sidious . Knew had to take screenshoots of hat !

There's an episode of the Simpsons (jaws wired shut) where UK censors removed a mild sexual joke after Homer hooks himself up to a suicide machine:

With the joke removed, it appears that Homer successfully commits suicide until the next scene, which is probably worse for young viewers than whatever joke they removed.

Censor this.

censor bar.jpeg

fwiw, this is why I still, to this day, support buying DVDs/Blu-Ray/4k whatever physical media for movies I like. For one thing, in regards to this thread, they can't edit your physical media. You will always have the original version & there's nothing they can do about it.

But secondarily, slightly less important I suppose, you are not tied to a subscription service. For example, I have Disney+. I can watch Avengers on their service any time I want, sure. But if I decide to drop Disney+, I still have my Avengers blu-ray I can watch at any time. I'm not anchored to their service & can drop it any time I want to.

Top Bottom