Where do you prefer to play Civ?

Osvaldo Manso

Warlord
Fellow Fanatics,

Last week I was in a flight returning from Funchal (Madeira Island) to Lisbon after a business trip. I was travelling alone and the plane (an Airbus A319 or A320) was carrying less than half of its passenger capacity. I was seating at the last row and the nearest person was seating three rows ahead. I don't know about you guys, but I like to be alone or at least in a quiet place when I play Civ, because I want to be focused on the game. So, just as the plane was flying above the Atlantic Ocean, I turned on my laptop and started a new game of Sid Meier's Civilization. Unfortunately, the flight from Madeira to Lisbon is very short (1h15m) and soon I had to stop playing.

It was a great experience. Next tuesday, I'm going to Ankara (Turkey). It will be a long journey (via Zurich and Istanbul) and I will return on thursday via Munich. As I will travel alone, I'm already anticipating a great opportunity to play Sid Meier's Civilization.

In the past, I have played on a train from Lisbon to Beja. Besides playing aboard vehicles, I have special pleasure on playing at different locations (foreign countries, during holidays, etc). I also love to play outside at terraces during the hot Summer nights (in Portugal, it is not so unusual to have nights with 25 ºC).

I would like to hear similar experiences from you. Where do you prefer to play Civ? What was the oddest place where you played Civ?

If I ever become a millionaire, I will certainly take Civ to space...

What a wonderful post. I could just see you flying over the Atlantic playing Civ on that plane. And next week to Turkey? THAT'S CIVILIZATION that you are flying over. How appropriate.

Well, sadly I have never had the experience of playing CIV anywhere except in my house. But it is still Civ and wonderful.

And now I will picture you flying all over the world's civilizations playing Civ!

Best to you, and thanks for sharing such a wonderful experience with us.

stwils

I've also had the pleasure to play a game at 30,000 feet, on a flight from Atlanta to Boston (or was it the other way around?).

Sadly, my laptop needs a new battery, so it's been a while since I've had a flight like that.

Well, now my story of being hunched over a computer screen in my parents' basement is kinda lame.

Anywhere and any system that can run Mini vMac.

Hello, I'm Swedish but live in France and I have 2 hours of traveling to my work so to play DOS version of Civ (version 474.04) on my Windows Mobile 6.1 on PocketDOS is what I prefer :)

Works on the train, metro and take little place :)

I recently played Civ 1 on the San Francisco BART (subway) when I went to Berkelely, later I played a half hour in the Berkeley hills overlooking SF Bay. I was just seeing if I could run Civ 1 again.

I prefer playing Civ (any version) on my laptop generally at home. When I travel, I'll play anywhere: coffeeshop, train, airport, parks (esp. parks! where I can get some sun, hear "life" all around me, and play a little Civ).

anywhere if i have enough cigarettes :D long game and sometimes becomes pretty boring and i need to cigarettes to do their job ^^ ... usually i play it at home with the sports channel on at the tv ... in my country is not very indicated to play it on a laptop outside your home :))

romania ... but don't take it wrong ... it's not like i am afraid or anything ... it's just that in romania it's pretty unusuall to see some1 using a laptop in a public place (parks, subway or smth else) and when some1 sees you they are very curios to see what you are doing and violate your intimacy(i would do the same if i see some1 with a laptop just for curiosity ... we're not yet used with people using laptops in a public place ... most romanians preffer buying a computer instead of a laptop (not because it's cheaper but because we think that pc's are more usefull than laptops) ... i bought myself a laptop just because my room is not very big and i don't have place for a computer ... but i own other 2 computers which are placed in the other 2 rooms and i prefer using one of them rather than the laptop ... and usually when i go out ... i go out to get away from the computer ... it would be rather stupid to take it with me ...

Anytime, Anywhere for me really. As long as I know I have at least 4 hours to play!!!

And DosBox, gotta love it.

Top Bottom