Why do my mercanaries suck in attacking??

DarkTempla

Chieftain
Numidian Mercanerys are supposed to have 2/3/1 stats!
That is pretty good, since they are kind of a combination of an archer and an hoplite or whatever!
BUT if i ever attack with them, which is a value of 2!! like any archer, they ALMOST EVER lose at least 1 hit point, while archers win battles far more easy and i even lose some mercanarys attakcking BARBS!!!
That cannot be... is it just my extremely bad luck or is there any attack adv. archers get before mercanrys i missed out...??

DarkTempla

*JustLuveCarthaginians* :king:

just let me add another question right behind this one :D

It often SEEMS to me that Veterans/Elite Units not only have more hitpoints, but also FIGHT BETTER than others!!
Is that also my imagination or is there a small combat bonus like 5% or something for Veteran units and maybe 10% for Elite?
(similar to Alpha Centauri!)

Welcome to CFC :)

I liked the SMAC elite units, although you could become almost untouchable very quickly.

Unfortunately, I think it's just your luck. Now that's a can of worms that's been not only opened, but thrown from one end of these fora to the other :D

I don't have the thread number to hand, but there have been many discussions on the combat system. Try searching this forum.

ok, thanx.

Just one more n00bish question:

If u take the one of your opponents capitals, is there any effect?
cuz the palace simply gets moved, doesnt it?
I remember civ1 when u acutally had to REBUILD it.

correct, when you take an opponents capital the palace is moved to another city. I believe the move is to the city with the highest culture, but that may be incorrect.

so there is no real gain in going straight for the capital!!?
thats a bid sad, they should have at least one turn of civildisorder or show some other outward effect!

Originally posted by DarkTempla
so there is no real gain in going straight for the capital!!?
thats a bid sad, they should have at least one turn of civildisorder or show some other outward effect!
True... if the AI capital does not have anything you want badly (wonders/resources/luxuries), getting the capital won't really do you too much good. Instead, you can destroy the capital's connection (roads, harbor, and airport) to other cities, that will seriously hamper the enemy civ since it will lose all the trades and resouce/luxury access. :goodjob:

yes, going for the capital is vital! it disturbs cenrtal alignment, takes there most productive city, as well s countless other things

Originally posted by DarkTempla
It often SEEMS to me that Veterans/Elite Units not only have more hitpoints, but also FIGHT BETTER than others!!
Is that also my imagination or is there a small combat bonus like 5% or something for Veteran units and maybe 10% for Elite?
(similar to Alpha Centauri!)

It's just your imagination. You can find the combat calculator at http://www.civfanatics.com/civ3combatcalc.html

I wonder if whether AI usage to be set on offense or defense has anything to do with this... i doubt it.

I blame it on bad luck as well.

Top Bottom