Wonders: AI Desire - Aggressive vs Passive

Stalker0

Baller Magnus
There are certain wonders that the AI desires with every fiber of its being, and then there are wonders that it seems like were forgotten.

I thought it would be useful to have a list of the wonders that the AI hungrily goes for, versus the wonders you often have some time to build.

There are two simple categories. Aggressive means that the AI goes after this wonder fast, and normally requires very focused effort from the human on high difficulties to get. Passive means the AI tends to take its time with the wonder, and the human can often snag it with a lot less effort. While I'm sure there are wonders that somewhat fall in the middle I think its good to keep this nice and clean, so two categories it is!

I've only done through Renaissance as I feel this is the point where the true "wonder rush" ends. After this point, I think all wonders are relatively equal in competitiveness, its just more about what part of the tech tree you are going and what else is going on.

Let me know if you strongly disagree with any thing I've noted.

Ancient - Classical Era

Aggressive
Great Library
Hanging Gardens
Great Wall
Parthenon
Oracle

Passive

Stonehenge
Pyramids
ToA
MoH
Statue of Zeus
Petra
Great Lighthouse
Roman Forum
Terracotta Army
Angkor Wat
Colossus

Medieval - Renaissance Era

Aggressive

University of Sankore
Hagia Sophia
Borobodur
Alhambra
Notre Dame
Chichen Itza
Himeji Castle
Porcelain Tower
Taj Mahal

Passive
Manchu Picchu
Forbidden Palace
Cathedral of St Basil
Globe Theater
Leaning Tower of Pisa
Uffizi
Sistine Chapel
Summer Palace

Ancient / Classical is spot on. The Medieval / Renaissance list has a couple that are probably interchangeable. Globe Theater and St Basil have been going quick in my recent games, while Notre Dame and Taj can sometimes linger.

The funniest to me is Pisa; I can build it practically every game despite it being one of the most generically valuable wonders.

I think it is mostly the order the AI techs in mostly. The AI really hates the tech that gives you Pisa so you will almost always get it first and have ages to build it if you want it. Terracotta Army is also really unpopular so it is possible that the AI doesn't liek that tech much either.

I find the Machu Pichu an extremely aggressive wonder.

It isn't only the tech order, though that is a big part. I'm seeing Hanging Gardens built before Mausoleum consistently.

My copy of your list as I experienced it on Emperor/Immortal:

Ancient - Classical Era

Aggressive
Great Library
Parthenon
Stonehenge
Pyramids
Hanging Gardens

Passive

ToA
MoH
Great Wall
Oracle
Statue of Zeus
Petra
Great Lighthouse
Roman Forum
Terracotta Army
Angkor Wat
Colossus

Medieval - Renaissance Era

Aggressive

Machu Picchu
Forbidden Palace
Alhambra
Notre Dame
Porcelain Tower
Hagia Sophia
Borobodur

Passive
Cathedral of St Basil
University of Sankore
Globe Theater
Taj Mahal
Leaning Tower of Pisa
Uffizi
Chichen Itza
Himeji Castle
Sistine Chapel
Summer Palace

I find that generally I could build any wonder I had my eye on, if I really focus and beeline the required tech. One exception would be Chicken Pizza. The AI has a raging hard-on for it that I could barely remember getting it over my last 50 games.

Depending on game, but the Great Lighthouse, can be one of the most prized wonders, particularly if naval powers are in game. As CrazyG mentioned above, it isn't just tech order. Military civs in particular seem to hone in on the Great Wall, which you have to pass Masonry & Terracotta Army on the way.

The AI is severely underrating Terracota and Leaning tower, both great wonders that should be much higher up on AIs' priority list.

Terracotta and Great Wall were both snagged by Poland in my game (and Alhambra by Mongolia) before Roman Forum was built (also by Mongolia).

Is the Parthenon really that hard to get? I can get the Parthenon very consistently on emperor/immortal.

Is the Parthenon really that hard to get? I can get the Parthenon very consistently on emperor/immortal.

I find the Parthenon very hard to get on Immortal myself, but that's probably because I feel like I have to have some kind of military tech, whether its cbows or spears or something. So it might work if you just completely straight shot it, but I find that I'll just die if I do that.

What are other people's experiences with the wonder?

I find the Parthenon very hard to get on Immortal myself, but that's probably because I feel like I have to have some kind of military tech, whether its cbows or spears or something. So it might work if you just completely straight shot it, but I find that I'll just die if I do that.

What are other people's experiences with the wonder?
On Immortal I could snag the Parthenon 8/10 times if beelining the tech for it. Otherwise it's nigh impossible.

One thing I noticed on this patch (4/16), some wonders get built really late. Pyramid, MoH, Petra, Angkor Wat, just to name a few. On the other hand, Terracotta Army now gets built much earlier than previous versions of VP.

I had a game where I thought "Ok an actual turn 65 GL is possible for me", lets go for it!

FML

Spoiler :

upload_2021-5-13_15-57-39.png

I wonder if it's Babylon. They go straight for Writing.

Top Bottom